PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wireless not connecting/staying connected

irakresh
November 21st, 2012, 05:56 PM
I am totally new to Ubuntu so I wasn't sure whether to post this here or under the Wireless forum. In any event, I have a new Zbox computer. We have wireless (DSL) at our home. It's working fine on our windows computers and the connection works fine with the Zbox when I run a wired connection.

But, when I try to connect the Zbox to the wireless, it won't connect and it continually asks for the passphrase. I have entered it several times (and checked to make sure it was right), but still nothing. I have checked to make sure the connection is available to all users, but that's about all I know to do.

Please tell me what information I need to provide to troubleshoot. Our router is a Netgear N300 Wireless Router and the firmware is up to date.

Wild Man
November 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back and attach the netinfo.txt file.
Thanks

irakresh
November 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM
I think I successfully attached the netinfo file. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Wild Man
November 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Hi, the bottom half of the output from the file is missing but go ahead and try this:

echo "options rt2800pci nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf
sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci
sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci

Also signal strength is at 50 percent which is low for ubuntu to connect too.
Thanks

irakresh
November 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM
That seems to be better. Thank you Wild Man. Hopefully it stays connected - time will tell. The computer is now in a temporary location - when it's moved to it's permanent location it'll be closer to the router - do you think that will help? Also, can you tell me (in simple terms) what the code did (if you have a chance)?

Wild Man
November 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hi, yes it may help to move it closer.

Also channel 1 or 11 is good channels to use.

The code changed encryption from hardware to software.

Please use thread tools at the top of the page in a little while to mark the thread solved.
Thanks

Joshua66
November 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Wild Man, any idea why moving the encryption from hardware to software helped? Maybe the driver doesn't quite interface with the hardware encryption correctly or the hardware is buggy?

Wild Man
November 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Hi, it is issues with the driver.
Thanks

irakresh
November 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
I was trying it again today. It kicked me off the wireless connection (I was prompted for the passphrase again) and now I can't seem to load any websites. I also tried to run the Update Manager as a check on the connection and that too failed.

Is there something I can post again to help with a diagnosis? I don't know why the bottom half of the output was missing from the original post.

Is there something else driver related I can try? Or anything-related?

Would getting a USB wireless stick work around this problem? If so, do you have a recommendation? Our router is Netgear N300.

irakresh
November 27th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I ended up (with help) blacklisting the driver (rt2800pci) and just using a wireless USB stick. This seems to be working much better.