PDA

View Full Version : GNOME announces upcoming Music, Documents, Photos, Videos and Transfers applications

philinux
November 21st, 2012, 11:19 AM
I wonder how much of this will land in time for raring.
http://www.iloveubuntu.net/gnome-announces-upcoming-music-documents-photos-videos-and-transfers-applications

andrew.46
November 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
I hope that the work they are talking about on Totem is more than simply cosmetic, that is one severely under-performing application... So interesting times ahead :)

jbicha
November 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Phil, the current plan is to stick with GNOME 3.6 for raring. I'd expect that "new shiny" things like Photos and newer versions of Documents and Videos (Totem) would likely require the new shiny GTK.

I went ahead and test-built the first alpha of Photos but it's not very functional; it's basically just Documents with pictures instead of documents. Shotwell is far more powerful and useful for now.

bird1500
November 21st, 2012, 05:46 PM
Yes, plans are one thing, usable results are quite another.
Plus the gnome devs are known for not striking a good balance between features, design, usability and application startup/running speed.

philinux
November 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Phil, the current plan is to stick with GNOME 3.6 for raring. I'd expect that "new shiny" things like Photos and newer versions of Documents and Videos (Totem) would likely require the new shiny GTK.

I went ahead and test-built the first alpha of Photos but it's not very functional; it's basically just Documents with pictures instead of documents. Shotwell is far more powerful and useful for now.

Yes I wondered the same thing re new gtk. Lots of time to April 2013. Time will tell.