View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommend software needed

November 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hi all

I have here a Acer net book, "Intel Atom 1.6ghz, 1024 mb total RAM 8mb video"

I am fitting a new hard drive into it, and want to install a (ubuntu) OS, it did creep along with win7 in it, until death took over the hard drive.

Could some one recommend a suitable lite OS, as I know ver 10 - 12 of ubuntu will just kill it :guitar:

Lars Noodén
November 20th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Well, the lightest official Ubuntu distro is Lubuntu. That uses fewer resources because it is built around the LXDE desktop.

If there are applications missing, you can add the ones you want from the repository.

If you want lighter, you can skip the desktop environment completely and just run a plain window manager. Choices include FVWM, FVWM-crystal, Openbox, Fluxbox and Enlightenment.

November 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I have an acer aspire one netbook with xubuntu.Everything works out of the box, light and fast! Try xubuntu booting from usb before install.

November 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
As I have xunbuntu on disk, I shall give it a go

November 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I also have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 with similar specs, and while I hate to admit it, it runs regular Unity Ubuntu as well as it ran Windows 7, although it originally came with Windows XP installed.

Bucky Ball
November 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM
1Gb of RAM is fine to run Ubuntu ...

Xubuntu or Lubuntu will be better, though. As mentioned, you can still add whatever apps you like after install. Personally, love Xubuntu and that's on an i3 processor with 4Gb of RAM. Runs like a rocket!