distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

can any one help. iam using intel

dannyboy79
November 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM
it appears like it's telling you that you have some package "stickied" and it's broken. You sticky packages when you don't want them to upgrade. I believe this to be true from reading the following statement,
"E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

So, are there any packages that you installed that you have "held" at their current version?

jeremy
November 22nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
I have the same problem as sailashr, and do not have any sticky packages.

squakie
November 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
What I would try:

sudo apt-get remove skype

sudo apt-get purge skype

Then go to the software center and install it there. Each time I've done a clean install with a new release that's all I've ever done (prior to software center I used synaptic package manager) and it's worked fine each time.

After you've done that if you still have problems please post back.

dniMretsaM
November 22nd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Make sure you have the partner repository enabled. You can open up /etc/apt/sources.list in a text editor and uncomment said repo. There is also a way to do through the USC, but I don't know since I'm not on Ubuntu.

Impavidus
November 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Today I also had a problem updating skype-bin. It says: "Unable to update," altough a new version is available, it always worked out in the past and I haven't changed anything to the apt configuration lately. Synaptic tells me that to upgrade to the latest version of skype-bin I have to remove the package "skype", but according to the version numbers it should work fine (version 4.1.0.20-0ubuntu0.11.10.1).

It's not security update, so I'll leave it for the moment. It sounds like some faulty dependencies. For the moment I'll assume it will be solved by a future update.

(The "skype" package doesn't really contain anything, so it should be fine to remove it and just install skype-bin.)

Paddy Landau
November 22nd, 2012, 03:35 PM
I am using the latest version from the official Skype website. To do this, you first have to remove existing Skype packages.

You need to remove all installed Skype packages, including (if installed) skype-bin and skype:i386.

You can do this from Ubuntu Software Centre, Synaptic, or from the terminal:

sudo apt-get remove skype*Then download the Linux deb from the Skype Linux download page (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/) and install it. It seems to work perfectly.

Impavidus
November 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
It's not security update, so I'll leave it for the moment. It sounds like some faulty dependencies. For the moment I'll assume it will be solved by a future update.
The problem solved itself today with a new update. If you still haven't skype working, try again installing from the software centre.

NikTh
November 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Anyone who has problem with the message
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

could try this

sudo apt-get install skype-bin

Thanks

Paddy Landau
November 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
sudo apt-get install skype-bin
In my case, skype-bin is not in the repositories.

The problem solved itself today with a new update. If you still haven't skype working, try again installing from the software centre.
I also received the upgrade, even though I had installed from the Skype website.

As a test, I uninstalled Skype and installed the standard one from the repository, and it worked. It automatically installed both skype and skype-bin:i386 (the latter was not visible before installing).

It is interesting that Canonical has approved an upgrade so quickly for Skype; that is quite unusual.

The OP (sailashr) has not responded, but this thread could probably be marked as solved (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads).