PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Have been trying for hours, any help for aircrack? I've tried EVERYTHING

Abyssal Whim
November 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Ok, so like the title says, I've been having a LOT of issues trying install aircrack-ng. I'm also having issues installing...well, anything. But that's a separate thread anyways.

Ok, so first off, I am new to the whole ubuntu scene. Or, to be more accurate, the linux scene. I've read numerous other threads, and tried following the directions of others who are ill fated with the same problem. What I have tried:

"sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
wget http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz
cd aircrack-ng-1.1

In the aircrack-ng-1.1 directory there is a file called common.mak, use your favorite editor to open the file and scroll down till you see the following line:

CFLAGS ?= -g -W -Wall -Werror -O3

Delete the -Werror variable, so that the line now looks like the following. Save and exit.

CFLAGS ?= -g -W -Wall -O3

Run make and make install to get aircrack-ng up and running.

try :
sudo make

and then :
sudo make install"

But every time I do so, I get an error:

"
Run 'airodump-ng-oui-update' as root (or with sudo) to install or update Airodump-ng OUI file (Internet connection required)."

How do I get past this? I'm sure it's probably something I've overlooked, or something, but any help would be MUCH appreciated at this point.

Note: Just using it to further my own knowledge.

MG&TL
November 18th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Is there a good reason for you to compile aircrack?

If not:

sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng

GreatDanton
November 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I think it's called aircrack-ng

You can also install it via Software center.

Abyssal Whim
November 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I thought that'd work originally, but when I do try that, I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package aircrack

Which its preposterous, as I must have downloaded it at least 50 times by now...

Abyssal Whim
November 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Also, I have tried aircrack, aircrack-ng, aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz, and they all end up doing the same thing on the end command. At this point, I am vexed. I keep trying to do SOMETHING about the issue with the airdump-ng, but so far, nothing has worked.

MG&TL
November 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I thought that'd work originally, but when I do try that, I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package aircrack

Which its preposterous, as I must have downloaded it at least 50 times by now...

My bad, I got the wrong package name.

What happens when you try:

?

Btw, you might want to read up on package management: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement - whether you've downloaded something or not makes no difference whatsoever.

Abyssal Whim
November 18th, 2012, 11:43 AM
My bad, I got the wrong package name.

What happens when you try:

sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng?

Btw, you might want to read up on package management: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement - whether you've downloaded something or not makes no difference whatsoever.

Sadly, the exact same thing. I figure I must have done SOMETHING wrong in my attempts at organizing the new system and messed up something I shouldn't have.

MG&TL
November 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm guessing you've managed to break APT somehow. Okay, try:

sudo apt-get update

Post the output and see if this fixes anything.

Abyssal Whim
November 18th, 2012, 12:04 PM
"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
aircrack-ng is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

I'm not QUITE sure if this means success, but I'm putting my money more on "no." Also, thank you for the patience. And to think I used to be so tech savvy. Now it seems I'm a noob again. ^_^

GreatDanton
November 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I would try with Ubuntu software center. Type aircrack into search bar and let us know what you get.

MG&TL
November 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM
"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
aircrack-ng is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

I'm not QUITE sure if this means success, but I'm putting my money more on "no." Also, thank you for the patience. And to think I used to be so tech savvy. Now it seems I'm a noob again. ^_^

In which case you appear to already have it. Well done! Now, what happens if you type:

aircrack-ng

?

Abyssal Whim
November 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I would try with Ubuntu software center. Type aircrack into search bar and let us know what you get.

That's actually where I started first, before trying to delve in myself. I couldn't get it to open up after I did it through there either. I keep wondering if maybe I just don't have something downloaded that I need or something. :/

Abyssal Whim
November 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Wow....I feel rather stupid at the moment. Thank you very much! For some reason, I was more expecting some form of interface or something.... ^.^;;

coffeecat
November 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Aircrack is not supported on these forums - thread closed.

If you have an ethical reason for wanting to use aircrack, then you would be better off with Backtrack and support on the Backtrack forums.