PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Crackling Noise with Some Applications

gerowen
November 13th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Since installing Ubuntu 12.10 (64 bit), I've noticed that most applications (Rhythmbox, Firefox, Totem) produce sound just fine. Other applications, such as VLC and Skype, produce very scratchy sound. It's a scratching noise or something any time those applications produce sound. I tried playing a video in VLC and it was really scratchy, but then went away after about 15 seconds of video.

I have not installed or changed any of the sound software since installing Ubuntu, so I'm not sure what would cause this.

gerowen
November 13th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Just noticed while making a call with Skype that if the application produces sound for more than a second or two, it clears up, but if it goes silent at all, the next few seconds will be scratchy. For example I made a call, and after about 5 seconds the sound cleared up and sounded normal. However once I ended the call and Skype made no sound, upon sending an IM to get the little "blip" sound it makes, I've noticed the sound is again scratchy.

This only seems to affect VLC and Skype so far, all other applications behave normally.

coffeecat
November 19th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I can only help you with VLC, but the fix in this post works for me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12362804&postcount=2

If the same pulseaudio issue is also affecting skype, perhaps similar configurations to skype might help, but I have no experience of skype so I don't know whether this is possible.