PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ringtail boot issue

heavyonion
November 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Ok so I ended up simplifying and wiped my hard drive and I just have 4 partitions now. I installed Ringtail fresh and when the grub screen comes up there is no Ubuntu option? There is a Mem test instead. Opensuse is there along with Windows 8 but no way to boot Ubuntu.
Any Ideas????

oldfred
November 12th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or:
Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix

ventrical
November 13th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I use Grub Rescue or SuperGrub 2.

heavyonion
November 13th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I have used boot repair< no help, probably just a tweak in the ISO I pulled down. No biggy, I have already installed 12.10 and maybe I will just change the repos. Thanks.

cariboo907
November 13th, 2012, 05:24 AM
It almost looks like grub didn't get installed to the right place. You can chroot the / partition on your Raring install, and re-install grub correctly. Use the following commands to chroot your root partition:

sudo mount /dev/sdxX /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
sudo chroot /mnt

/dev/sdxX = / on your Raring install

I've added a command to copy /etc/resolv.conf to your chroot, in case you need internet access to download the grub packages.

Once you've chrooted / issue the following commands:

grub-install /dev/sdx

and then:

update-grub

After running update-grub, you should see a listing of all the different versions you have installed.

Note: You don't need sudo for the last two commands, as you are running with elevated privileges.