PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Host data from two different locations on Apache?

Roasted
November 12th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I'm running a 12.04 box with Apache running. I have a few directories shared out, but they're all within the same DocumentRoot, which is /media/NAS/apache. Problem is, I have a directory on /media/NAS/motion that I want shared out. Sure, I could just re-route the "motion" dir to be a sub-dir under /media/NAS/apache, but it would create a bit of a headache for some other things. As a result, I'm questioning if I can just host a 2nd location with Apache somehow. Some reading suggests I may need a VirtualHost, or an Alias, but I'm not entirely certain.

For right now I just created a symlink, which seems to work fine... but I'm not entirely sure how "proper" this is. In fact, I'm not even sure if I'm entirely sure if what I'm doing is entirely correct. I'm simply editing the /etc/apache2/sites-available/default config for what uses I need. Is that what I should be doing? Can anybody help me iron out exactly what I need to do? Thanks!

marks_linux
November 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Alias would work well.

pkadeel
November 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm running a 12.04 box with Apache running. I have a few directories shared out, but they're all within the same DocumentRoot, which is /media/NAS/apache. Problem is, I have a directory on /media/NAS/motion that I want shared out. Sure, I could just re-route the "motion" dir to be a sub-dir under /media/NAS/apache, but it would create a bit of a headache for some other things. As a result, I'm questioning if I can just host a 2nd location with Apache somehow. Some reading suggests I may need a VirtualHost, or an Alias, but I'm not entirely certain.

For right now I just created a symlink, which seems to work fine... but I'm not entirely sure how "proper" this is. In fact, I'm not even sure if I'm entirely sure if what I'm doing is entirely correct. I'm simply editing the /etc/apache2/sites-available/default config for what uses I need. Is that what I should be doing? Can anybody help me iron out exactly what I need to do? Thanks!
Setting up virtual host is quite easy if you want to do that. Create a file named "motion" and put the following text in it. Replace * with any specific IP address you want to use or else leave it as is. Replace "motionsitefullyqulifiedname" with the actual site address to be used.

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName motionsitefullyqulifiedname
ServerAdmin admin@motionsitefullyqulifiedname
DocumentRoot /media/NAS/motion
<Directory /media/NAS/motion/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from all
</Directory>
DirectoryIndex index.html
ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/motion-error.log
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/motion-access.log" combined
</VirtualHost>

Put this file in /etc/apache2/site-available folder then execute following commands

sudo a2ensite motion
sudo service apache2 restart

edit /etc/hosts file and add the following replacing the IP_address with the IP address you are using or 127.0.0.1 for localhost. replace motionsitefullyqulifiedname with the site domain name you are using for that site

IP_address motionsitefullyqulifiedname

sandyd
November 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM
something like

Alias /motion /media/NAS/motion

The motion folder will then be accessable as if it were in /media/NAS/apache

Roasted
November 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
something like

Alias /motion /media/NAS/motion

The motion folder will then be accessable as if it were in /media/NAS/apache

How is this different from a symlink?

sandyd
November 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM
How is this different from a symlink?

The link is not at filesystem level - i.e. if you try to visit /media/NAS/apache/motion through the terminal, it will not exist.

Its generally used when you don't want to use the FollowSymLinks option, but they are just two ways of doing the same thing.