PDA

View Full Version : Startup Disk Creator Error

sparker256
November 10th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I am getting this error when trying to use Startup Disk Creator.

An error occurred while talking to the udisks service

Anyone have this working correctly?

Bill

jppr
November 10th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I have same error and issue :popcorn:

mc4man
November 10th, 2012, 10:26 PM
It's a crash of usb-creator-helper, you'd likely see the .crash in /var/crash (root owned

If trying to file on, the report may be uploaded somewhere but at least here there will be no typical pop up, launchpad, ect.
(thanks alot, see you later ??

jerrylamos
November 11th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Which startup disk creator? Raring? Quantal? Precise? Lucid?

jppr
November 12th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Which startup disk creator? Raring? Quantal? Precise? Lucid?
What you think... Is that a thing now difficult to determine which version of ubuntu, this forum might that be?

cariboo907
November 12th, 2012, 07:08 AM
What you think... Is that a thing now difficult to determine which version of ubuntu, this forum might that be?

Historically, this sub-forum hasn't been opened until a week or so after UDS-X, it's only since I became an Admin that it's been opened earlier. Usually there isn't much happening the first week after UDS, but for many of the devs it was fairly close to home this time, so they didn't need a week to recover from their UDS hangover. :).

On top of that, for many of us, Startup Disk Creator was broken in Quantal too, so jerrylamos' question isn't out of line at all.

sparker256
November 12th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Then I will make it clear I am asking about Startup Disk Creator for Raring.

Bill

cecilpierce
November 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM
It has not worked for me in a long time and cant't write other distros. Unetbootin has its ups and downs to .
Ive had problems with Brasero to so I use k3b when all else fails.

jerrylamos
November 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM

When making a raring.iso usb to test the raring.iso I use whatever works.

I'd really expect someone starting to try raring would be running either precise LTS or quantal to make their first raring.iso.

Testing the raring.iso startup disk creator is a different test.

Personally I find it easier and faster just to boot the .iso from the hard disk. Zsync, reboot, try the .iso, if it works, install. Faster for me than creating USB's or DVD's. I've had poor luck with R/W DVD's and with the .iso's changing fast I don't want a pile of DVD's on the floor. I will use a USB to take the test .iso to a different pc, or just copy the .iso over the local network.

ventrical
November 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Then I will make it clear I am asking about Startup Disk Creator for Raring.

Bill

I have had intermittent errors on all my boxes (all the way from Lucid) with SDC. As it stands now on one of my main machines , sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes. In otherwords, it's useless. What I do is I use this old version of Oneric Ocelot on an old Dell Opti and it has yet to fail.

ventrical
November 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
It's worse now since the update...

nm_geo
November 14th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I filed a bug on this a few days back. Join if you want.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1077766

mc4man
November 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Finally filed a bug on this based on the crash
(got apport to actually use LP on crashes , not sure if this is desired anymore vs just having it uploaded to some whoopsie db.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1078810

Maybe I'll start a thread on apport, possibly someone knows...
(hesitant to post how to get apport to file/open LP reports if it's not wanted anymore

dentaku65
November 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
The only way that I'm able to use usb-creator is to format the usb-key in FAT32 then:

sudo usb-creator-gtk --iso=/path/to/iso
Then select Erase Disk button (wait a moment that the disk will be available again), choose the desired extra space and finaly click on Make Startup Disk button
Done!

In this way I'm able to put the distro isos on usb-key since Lucid; tried everything else without luck.

by