PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] chroot jail cant access via ftp

bigmonmulgrew
November 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I'm trying to setup a chroot jail for a new user

I've got this working on a vpc but cant get it working on my real server although as far as I am aware they are software identical.

I created the new user with

sudo useradd -G webuser -s /bin/false username

I'm trying to connect with fireftp in firefox but I've tried with filezilla too and neither will connect

FireFTP is giving me this output

Connected (version 2.0, client OpenSSH_5.9p1NaNDebian-5ubuntu1)
Authentication (password) successful!

Filezilla gives me this

Error: Network error: Software caused connection abort
Error: Could not connect to server

This is on a ubuntu 12.04 server, updates are installed.
Its a LAMP server.
The vpc I have working is software identical. I've checked everything I can and all seems identical.

New users not in the "webuser" groups can connect fine and if I comment out the following in sshd_config then the new user can connect fine but obviously no jail.

Match Group webuser
ChrootDirectory %h
ForceCommand internal-sftp

You guys are my last hope before I reinstall the server from scratch, any ideas?

Lars Noodén
November 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Does the home directory referenced by "ChrootDirectory %h" exist? useradd by itself won't make a home directory. If it exists, is it owned by root and writable only by root? It won't work if it is writable by any other user or group.

bigmonmulgrew
November 6th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Does the home directory referenced by "ChrootDirectory %h" exist? useradd by itself won't make a home directory. If it exists, is it owned by root and writable only by root? It won't work if it is writable by any other user or group.

yes the directory exists, it is owned by root, and is only writable by root.

Just double checked

Lars Noodén
November 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Ok.

Can you stop the server, start it in debug mode and try connecting? That usually gives the information needed.

sudo service ssh stop
sudo /usr/sbin/sshd -Dd

bigmonmulgrew
November 6th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Ok.

Can you stop the server, start it in debug mode and try connecting? That usually gives the information needed.

sudo service ssh stop
sudo /usr/sbin/sshd -Dd

Cracking problem solved

I had changed the ownership and modes of the parent directory, forgot that with chroot jails the directory AND its parent directories must only be writable by root I have changed the parent directories and now its workign fine

Thanks a lot