PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Apache default and default-ssl

bigmonmulgrew
November 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hi
I was just looking through the ubuntu docs (again) and the apache part reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask for ages.

Why is it that default and default-ssl (and any you create yourself) have to be separate files. Is it just a matter of organisation or is there some practical reason.

Would it work exactly the same if it was one long file.

volkswagner
November 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
It helps organization, yes.

It also make it easy to enable and disable sites via the command line.

sudo a2ensite filename

a2dissite filename

If you have a misconfigured vhost it may cause Apache2 to fail a restart. With separate files it is easy to disable the site most
recently modified and restart apache again. This may be difficult if all your vhosts reside in one config file.

bigmonmulgrew
November 3rd, 2012, 04:00 PM
ok so assuming I want mysite and mysite-ssl enabled then would there be any downside to putting the contents of both in the same file.

bigmonmulgrew
November 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
other than the issue of finding a problem vhost, I was thinking of performance more of anything

sandyd
November 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
There isnt any performance benifit to having it in a seperate file other than the time it takes to find a vhost in a file when you have 30 other vhosts in there

bigmonmulgrew
November 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
There isnt any performance benifit to having it in a seperate file other than the time it takes to find a vhost in a file when you have 30 other vhosts in there

great thats what I wanted to hear. I'm not putting a lot of Vhosts in the file just one for http and one for https

SeijiSensei
November 4th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I'd be very surprised if Apache didn't cache all the virtualhost configurations when it starts up. I doubt it has to read those files more than once when it is started. Having to do file I/O on every request could create substantial performance problems on a busy server.