PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Facebook Virus?

otetiani
November 3rd, 2012, 02:49 AM
Maybe I'm paranoid, but this is the second time I had a "system" pop-up saying I had a system error, no details, right after logging into Facebook.

The first time I ignored it as a "glitch" you know maybe I clicked to fast or something or hit a button.

The second time I clicked Send Report (the only other option other than cancel) and it requested my password, which I have never seen before.

Tried looking at logs in /var/log/ but couldn't find any errors.

any way I can find if there was an actual error?

gerowen
November 3rd, 2012, 03:29 AM
I've had this happen a couple of times and as far as I can tell the reason it prompts for the password is because the error occurred in a file that a normal user account does not have read access to. Next time the error pops up and asks to send a report you can click the "Details" button and it will tell you what process specifically had the issue.

otetiani
November 3rd, 2012, 03:33 AM
That's why I desided to send a report, I was hoping to see details, but it requires a password first which I did not wish to do as I suspect it is a virus.

I have now combed through all the logs in /var/logs/ and with the exception of the system log I am confident there is no error logged there.

otetiani
November 3rd, 2012, 03:48 AM
Found it, it was a
colord crash.

my bad, just never saw a bug report in that format where it asks for a password prior to showing details.

cryptotheslow
November 3rd, 2012, 04:07 AM
I've been running 12.04 since it was in beta and colord is and has been forever crashing along with the bluetooth daemon. Most times the laptop will be sat idle and colord just randomly pegs out and reports a crash.

The crash report process asks for a password because colord runs under the user "colord" - rather than your user account, so you need to enter your sudo password for the crash report to access the colord's space to construct a full report.

In that respect it is nothing to worry about - just user separation doing what it should.

My question would be why does colord crash so often?

cariboo
November 3rd, 2012, 04:24 AM
Check the crash logs in /var/crash, it may tell you in amongst all the rest of the information why colord is crashing.