PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New server install partitioning for KVM host.

Slug71
November 2nd, 2012, 02:55 AM
Hey guys,

Im installing both Ubuntu Sever and CentOS on one of the drives in my test rig. Both will be set-up the same as hosts running VMs. Just want to get a feel of the differences of each and see which I like better.

I have 70GB spare on the drive which I will be dividing between the two. Thats after allocating space to the Swap area. I know its not much space but like I said, it's only to mess around with.

These are my first Linux server installs i've ever done and have no idea how the partitioning should go. I know for Desktop use it's usually just / and /home along with Swap but here i have no idea what the 'standard' is if there even is a standard. Or how much space is generally allocated to various partitions like /var etc... if those others are required.

So give I have 35GB for each install, how would I partition them?

Thanks in advance.

chadk5utc
November 2nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
From my own experience the biggest difference you'll notice right away is that CentOs(.rpm-RedHat based) has a GUI where Ubuntu(.deb-Debian Based) does not. Heres a link for KVM that should give you more than I could explain
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

sandyd
November 2nd, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hey guys,

Im installing both Ubuntu Sever and CentOS on one of the drives in my test rig. Both will be set-up the same as hosts running VMs. Just want to get a feel of the differences of each and see which I like better.

I have 70GB spare on the drive which I will be dividing between the two. Thats after allocating space to the Swap area. I know its not much space but like I said, it's only to mess around with.

These are my first Linux server installs i've ever done and have no idea how the partitioning should go. I know for Desktop use it's usually just / and /home along with Swap but here i have no idea what the 'standard' is if there even is a standard. Or how much space is generally allocated to various partitions like /var etc... if those others are required.

So give I have 35GB for each install, how would I partition them?

Thanks in advance.
I just did a standard root partition, then have /var/lib/vz (where my qemu/kvm disk images are stored) on a on a LVM partition, so I could extend it later if I needed.

Really, there isn't any 'standard' to partitioning. Its more about your needs, and your plans for future growth.

LHammonds
November 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
Figuring out a design of the partition system is a major step for setting up a server. I also have found that you need to design your system to be flexible so you don't pigeon-hole yourself when the server starts taking on different roles as it goes.

Take a look in my sig for how I setup my Ubuntu Servers which has a large section that covers partitioning, LVM and long-term maintenance of space over time.

LHammonds

Slug71
November 3rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
From my own experience the biggest difference you'll notice right away is that CentOs(.rpm-RedHat based) has a GUI where Ubuntu(.deb-Debian Based) does not. Heres a link for KVM that should give you more than I could explain
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

Yeh thats really why I'd like to try the difference between them. Thanks for the link. :)

Slug71
November 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Really, there isn't any 'standard' to partitioning. Its more about your needs, and your plans for future growth.

Figuring out a design of the partition system is a major step for setting up a server. I also have found that you need to design your system to be flexible so you don't pigeon-hole yourself when the server starts taking on different roles as it goes.

Take a look in my sig for how I setup my Ubuntu Servers which has a large section that covers partitioning, LVM and long-term maintenance of space over time.

LHammonds

Yeh thats pretty much what I've concluded.

Busy looking at your sig. now thanks. :)

Slug71
November 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM
I just did a standard root partition, then have /var/lib/vz (where my qemu/kvm disk images are stored) on a on a LVM partition, so I could extend it later if I needed.

So just / and /var/lib/vz will do? no /home?

sandyd
November 5th, 2012, 03:40 AM
So just / and /var/lib/vz will do? no /home?

it depends on where your VMs reside - /var/lib/vz is a directory specific to Proxmox on Debian.

However, back to the question, there is no reason to create a seperate /home partition because /home is generally not used.

Slug71
November 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM
it depends on where your VMs reside - /var/lib/vz is a directory specific to Proxmox on Debian.

However, back to the question, there is no reason to create a seperate /home partition because /home is generally not used.

Thanks sandyd.

I already did the CentOS installation. I just made a /(10gb) and the rest of the space(26gb) a LVM partition. I haven't been able to boot it though as tge Grub menu doesn't seem to be loading. Does that seem to be good though?

sandyd
November 6th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks sandyd.

I already did the CentOS installation. I just made a /(10gb) and the rest of the space(26gb) a LVM partition. I haven't been able to boot it though as tge Grub menu doesn't seem to be loading. Does that seem to be good though?

The setup seems to be good - you can grow the LVM onto more HDDs as more space is needed.

Slug71
November 7th, 2012, 02:50 AM
The setup seems to be good - you can grow the LVM onto more HDDs as more space is needed.
Thanks! :)