PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What Server OS to use on an Ubuntu network

Nick_C
November 1st, 2012, 10:39 PM
On an Ubuntu network what do you all use as your server OS? I know there is an 'Ubuntu Server' but is that the best option or are there other alternatives.

lisati
November 1st, 2012, 10:45 PM
It can depend on what you want to do. For what I use mine for (email, web pages) Ubuntu server works well.

markbl
November 2nd, 2012, 01:46 AM
Around here of course we are all generally going to recommend Ubuntu server. However, Ubuntu is based on debian and for a simple server (e.g. as a virtual guest) I often just use the standard debian netinst (http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst) download because it is tiny download and more minimal install.

jerome1232
November 2nd, 2012, 01:53 AM
I just use Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS, I like the fact that it is not a rolling release and will stay fairly static, I run it headless, no gui.

LHammonds
November 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
I don't have any Ubuntu/Linux desktops. I have a Windows Active Directory network with Windows XP/7/8 PCs but I do have several Ubuntu Servers.

What server you use depends on your needs. For file servers, I use Windows Server because of the integration with AD and the ease-of-use when it comes to my Windows clients and permissions.

I use vmware's ESXi (Linux) to host my virtual servers.

I use IBM's AIX (UNIX) to host my billing/scheduling services.

I use Windows server to host my public web site (built using .NET) and private Intranet (built using .ASP).

I use Ubuntu server for my database (MySQL), web apps (Apache+PHP), FTP (vsftpd), Minecraft, Network monitoring (Nagios), Print and VOIP (mumble) services.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention that I do have a print server running on Zentyal (based on Ubuntu)

LHammonds

Lars Noodén
November 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
The default answer is going to be Ubuntu Server. You could also use Debian or OpenBSD. But which services to you plan to run on your server? That above all else might influence which OS to put on your server.

HermanAB
November 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Depends...

If you don't mind fighting the good battle on the command line, then a Debian/Ubuntu server is fine.

However, if you wish for wizards and want to go click happy as on a Windows server, then you should use the more mature Linux versions such as Suse, Mageia, Red Hat, Scientific and so on.

On a Mageia/Mandriva/PCLOS/Suse server, you never need to use the command line and you can move mountains with a few mouse clicks.

thnewguy
November 3rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
I found Zentyal is pretty good. It's basically Ubuntu Server, but comes with optional LXDE desktop and web-based control panel. It makes for a really fast, easy setup and you can choose whether to work from the command line or the web portal when doing remote work.