PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 3d rendering

D_E_H0987
October 31st, 2012, 10:56 PM
I am wondering if anyone has gotten the 3d rendering app poser to work in ubuntu?

Even the older metacreations version would be great.

I have messed with it a bit but I couldn't get it to run.

monkeybrain2012
November 1st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Can't help you but it seems to be very pricey for the features. Why not use blender instead? It is free and have more features.

D_E_H0987
November 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Can't help you but it seems to be very pricey for the features. Why not use blender instead? It is free and have more features.

Hey thanks for your reply.

I use poser on windows and it has a massive set of 3d models, besides its own pz3 and pzz models it also loads several other formats and there are probably on the order of (many)millions of models available.
A lot of models that will work in poser are free.
I have many many hundreds if not many thousands of models that will work in poser.
I got poser 3, many years ago on a graphics mag cdrom. They had a deal to buy a newer full version and then I got the updates for quite a few years.
I'm actually using an older version as I'm computer challenged in not having money for a newer high end computer to run the newer versions of poser or other high end apps.
I have been collecting models for poser for years.
Poser is also easy to use, you can render an image the first time you start it up, but it also is powerfull enough to do a lot of high end images and videos just like the big boys do with apps like 3d studio.

I have tried blender out for windows but it never really seemed to be a finished app and then there was no conversion app for blend files.
Its been quite a while since I messed with blender in windows.
They mite have gotten it finished or it simply could be good in Linux, but not be so great on the PC.
I've seen apps that have both a windows version and a Linux version that work well on one and not the other.

Anyway I'll have to download a newer copy of blender for Linux and see what its up to these days.

But I would still like to at least get the older poser working on wine.
It shouldn't be that hard, poser is pretty well behaved.
The older metacreations one works in win9x.
I'm guessing I just need a few DLL's that windows has that are not in wine by default.
I don't know if you can just dump windows DLL's into the wine or they need to be converted, etc.
There is also the video bit, I think poser needs OpenGL but I'm not positive on that one. As far as remember wine had OpenGL anyway.

Thanks again for you help.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas what mite need to be added or edited in wine or if there are other ways to run a windows app under Ubuntu I'd be grateful to hear of them.

Also if there are any other free 3d apps for Linux I'd like to know about them.

jefsview
November 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
Poser doesn't install well under Wine (at least for me, and Wine app database supports that report).

Luckily, I had switched mostly over to Carrara, and Carrara works well under wine. DAZ|Studio also works and installs fine (32 bit versions). I wasn't able to get the 64bit versions to install, but some folks over at the DAZ forums report that they have.

I never tried my older version of Poser, which was 5 or 6. The newer versions, which have better lighting and rendering options just has too many things depending on IE and/or AdobeAir and just doesn't want to play well.

I spent far too much on content to let my 3D apps go.

Blender's interface is still alien to me, but when I have some moments I do play around with it.

There's also Wings3d, and the very beta MakeHuman programs.

--jeff

D_E_H0987
November 2nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
Well I tried Blender out.
I'm afraid it is way to complicated for first time users. I tried to import a small model and move it around. Something that shouldn't have been too complicated. But I was unable to even find my model let alone do anything with it.

When I first tried 3d studio (3dstudio is one of the high end 3d apps for windows and way too complicated for the occasional user.). I was able to load a model and at least mess around from the get go.

In 3d studio the model popped up right on the screen. But in blender its where the hell is my little model? I spent like a half hour trying to find the model I imported. In 3d studio the model is also added to one of the bajillion menus and tool boxes. So I figured Blender mite be similar, but just not put the model on the main window directly, so I looked and looked and looked. I even found extra hidden tool boxes but I never did find my model.

I thought 3d studio had a way too complicated mess of menus, tool boxes, etc. Blender makes 3dstudio look like child's play by comparison. I was at least able to do something in 3dstudio from the get go. Sadly I can't say the same thing for blender. If the complexity of Blenders menus, tool boxes, etc. is any indication Blender mite be pretty powerful. But its not for the occasional user. And at least for me, looks like it would take considerable study just to do simple renders.

For me Blender is not going to be an option. I'll stick with Poser. I'll bet getting it to work in wine will be easier than learning Blender, even if I have to learn to program to make wine work.

D_E_H0987
November 3rd, 2012, 12:56 AM
Poser doesn't install well under Wine (at least for me, and Wine app database supports that report).

Luckily, I had switched mostly over to Carrara, and Carrara works well under wine. DAZ|Studio also works and installs fine (32 bit versions). I wasn't able to get the 64bit versions to install, but some folks over at the DAZ forums report that they have.

I never tried my older version of Poser, which was 5 or 6. The newer versions, which have better lighting and rendering options just has too many things depending on IE and/or AdobeAir and just doesn't want to play well.

I spent far too much on content to let my 3D apps go.

Blender's interface is still alien to me, but when I have some moments I do play around with it.

There's also Wings3d, and the very beta MakeHuman programs.

--jeff

Hey there thanks for your reply.

I'm missing something here, "installs fine under wine" How does one install a windows program in wine? I copied the apps from windows I have working fine so far under wine.

I can tell you one of the biggest problems I have on Linux is stuff just doesn't seem to have complete help files, docs, etc. A while back I was looking to get a windows USB drive to read in wine. I got, it can't be done yet, oh you need to jump threw hoops, and put in a page full of terminal commands they had listed in an image, so you would have had to type a fricken full page of stuff perfectly and then download a bunch library's and... Oh yea it still mite not work(Some people have gotten it to work but...).

A week or so ago I found a little app to configure things in wine(I had loaded like three of these before but none had drive settings.). This app had drive settings all I had to do is select the drives and whala they were available in wine. 30 seconds and my usb drive now works in wine, plus I have a drive letter for my windows ata hard drive in wine rather than going to it threw Linux's drives.

Now why mite you ask didn't I find this app before. Well thats simple, its not on Ubuntu software center. Its not on the big shareware sites(Softpedia, Cnet, Tucows, etc. etc. etc.) and I just got lucky to see a link to to a site ware I found it while reading a web page on Ubuntu 12.10. So I'd still not be able to use my usb drive on wine had I not got lucky.

Then there are simple settings that there is no easy way to change except for some cryptic terminal command. I have at least 8 apps loaded that let you config little bits and pieces of Ubuntu, but none of those have settings for just changing the background color of a window to say light gray from white.

Finally I got an app on the same site I found the little config app, its a app for visibility for handy capped people. I saw its listing ware it lets you change the brightness of the screen with a key combo. Whooo hooo! I need this. So now I got a key combo to darken and lighten the window. Its not what I wanted but it works. Now I click the brightness down when I'm typing and click it back up for the rest of my computer use. Now you mite ask "why not just use the controles on your monitor?", That's simple, "Because my LCD monitor has this craptastic menu system rather than knobs to raise and lower the brightness.".

What I really should be able to do is just popup system settings in Ubuntu and set the background to lt. gray but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Sorry got side tracked there. (And don't even think to get me started on that mess microsoft is putting out for windows 8. I have watched some youtube vids. God its so horrible, what were they thinking. Its like they put three Ipad button menu's on the screen at once.)

I tell you, if the Linux wold got its act together it could crush windows 8. But I don't know the developers and its pretty obvious they have no clue of what people really want besides eye candy(Kina like Microcrap.). At least they got the core of Linux working right.

Its nice to not have system crashes, file loss, and other major problems in an operating system. I have not had one hard crash since putting Ubuntu on this box. Even with lightning storms and power crashes, no file loss at all, and thats pretty impressive. I loose files on windows all the time. I'm big on multitasking and doing lots of things at the same time and windows just doesn't play that way. I don't think I've ever looked threw a bunch of stuff I've downloaded and not found something corrupt I have to re-download. I backup windows stuff all the stinking time as its always screwing up something.

I have windows locked down so I don't get hard crashes very often but still I'll bet its at least once a month in goes down. I don't think its possible to really use any version of windows and not have something go bad. I remember windows used to crash doing nothing, just turn it on and let it set, sooner or latter it would crash.

I remember Bill gates and the blue screen of death while showing off windows whatever. This is the big kahoona and he can't give a dog and pony show with out it crashing, cripes this is crap!

Anyway back to business.

I just got a new copy of daz studio from Daz not too long ago, when they sent me an e-mail. I'll have to try it on wine.

I'll have to see if I can find wings3d for Linux. I think I have a windows version somewhere.

All I want is everything I use to work in Linux, then I can dump windows for good, there has to be a way.

Thanks again for your reply.