PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Information Notification Bug

ventrical
October 31st, 2012, 06:41 AM
Since the kmod update I have this persistent notification of a red triangle with an exclamation point in it on the menu bar at top right. All is updated. It just won't go away.

jerrylamos
November 1st, 2012, 12:58 AM
I don't have a red triangle. From time to time I get an update notifier crash so I choose ignore future.....

One of the first things I do on an install is software sources > repositories > check Ubuntu partners > updates select never. Then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade most days when I want to do the update not when update comes crashing down on what I'm doing.

BTW, check "removes" carefully before doing "y".

And since this is "unstable" development have a backup partition I use 12.04.1 and a couple partitions for unstable development. I'll update this apt-sources 13.04 then when daily build shows raring I'll install into another partition then alternate installs & updates. I don't have a 12.10 I'm using.

grahammechanical
November 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
Does it not have a drop down menu with an error message?

I get that kind of thing when there is a missing package header. And it usually prevents updating.

Regards.

ventrical
November 1st, 2012, 03:08 PM
Does it not have a drop down menu with an error message?

I get that kind of thing when there is a missing package header. And it usually prevents updating.

Regards.

Must be a ghost :) I just updated/upgraded and it disappeared. Halloween? :)

Regards,
ventrical

grahammechanical
November 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
I have had this twice now and it has appeared after I updated with Synaptic. I think it is because I have the Extras repositories enabled for Raring and they do not yet exist. At least it proves that the notification indicator is working.

Regards

ventrical
November 2nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
I used terminal to update/upgrade and that took care of it (for now it seems). Clicking on that indicator icon produced an error dialog context with menu items .. etc.. I then would click "show updates" and then it would notify me "No updates Available" and return to error status.

Perhaps it is the new 3.7.x-xRC3 kernel fixed it?

I do have an assumption that this problem will arise again, being that apport is literally useless at this stage.