PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Troubles with latest kernels

dino99
October 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
](*,) dont hard reset your ext4 system

EXT4 Data Corruption Bug Hits Stable Linux Kernels ( 3.2 -> 3.6 )

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxNDQ

it seems that 3.7 is not affected, but not sure, as that commit is not yet fixed nor removed.

ventrical
October 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the warnings.

grahammechanical
October 24th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Makes me glad that my /home partition is still ext3. Sometimes a hard reset is the simple way out of messed up login screen or desktop, such as we got a few weeks ago.

So it will only show up if the system has been rebooted twice in fairly quick succession.

Not got much choice when trying to get to a working desktop.

Regards.

zika
October 25th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Is liquorix 3.6 affected?

dino99
October 25th, 2012, 09:25 AM

liquorix or not liquorix, where is the difference ?

zika
October 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM
liquorix or not liquorix, where is the difference ?Just the question I've asked...

JMB74
October 25th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Looking at the sources and configs, the 3.6 in their debian repos seems to be based on linux 3.6.2 or 3.6.2?

So yes, presumably they would be effected?

But also see: http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Stable-Linux-kernel-hit-by-ext4-data-corruption-bug-Update-1736110.html

Theodore Ts'o has continued his investigation of the bug and has found that the problem was more esoteric (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1379725/focus%3D34994) than was first thought. The user who reported the problem was using umount -l, which immediately unmounts the filesystem without waiting for it to stop being busy. The bug is now thought (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1379725/focus%3D35003) to be caused when the machine is being shut down while it is in the process of unmounting the filesystem with an already compromised journal.

The developers are still working (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1379725/focus%3D35006) to pinpoint the exact problem and it might actually involve more kernel components than just the ext4 drivers. In any case, it has become clear that the bug needs a very specific configuration to surface and is unlikely to affect most users.

dino99
October 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Generally speaking its a problem for all the journalling systems around there. So the problem is real when the system suddenly fail: hardware issue, power cut down, ...

note: i was lazy to upgrade my /home from ext3 to ext4, but now im very happy to still use ext3 on /home, i feel better secured.

Starks
October 26th, 2012, 04:32 AM
This could be a huge problem during the first major breakage.

dino99
October 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Feedback

Problem has been narrowed down, and should not affect average users.

One of the users who ran into problems were using experimental new features that are not enabled by default. We can't stop users from trying out new features that aren't enabled by default. Things like metadata checksums are not enabled by default specifically because they aren't ready yet.

So its a no problem, but a huge buzz :confused:

zika
October 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Feedback

Problem has been narrowed down, and should not affect average users.

One of the users who ran into problems were using experimental new features that are not enabled by default. We can't stop users from trying out new features that aren't enabled by default. Things like metadata checksums are not enabled by default specifically because they aren't ready yet.

So its a no problem, but a huge buzz :confused:Will it be solved until 20.12. 2012. ... ;)?

bailout
October 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know whether this affects the 12.10 kernel?

I have just installed kubuntu 12.10 and had put Bodhi on another partition. I started getting error messages on the Bodhi install that it couldn't write to files and the install soon wouldn't boot.

I thought it was just a problem with Bodhi and sonething I had done to it but I am now getting the similar problems start with Kubuntu. I know Bodhi is based on 12.04 but uses updated kernels.

I have been rebooting a lot going between the installs and need to decide whether it could be this kernel bug or whether my hd is failing.

thanks

ventrical
October 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know whether this affects the 12.10 kernel?

I have just installed kubuntu 12.10 and had put Bodhi on another partition. I started getting error messages on the Bodhi install that it couldn't write to files and the install soon wouldn't boot.

I thought it was just a problem with Bodhi and sonething I had done to it but I am now getting the similar problems start with Kubuntu. I know Bodhi is based on 12.04 but uses updated kernels.

I have been rebooting a lot going between the installs and need to decide whether it could be this kernel bug or whether my hd is failing.

thanks

How old is your hdd,? (check smart info in disk utility). Through time older hdds increase their wattage drain and can put a drain on the power-supply. In contradistinction, older power supplies loose their wattage output gradually over time. These two factors can emulate a software bug/fail.

bailout
October 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I ran the hd manufacturers (WD) disk check utility and both the quick and extended tests showed no errors with the hd.