PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sidebar Not Displaying After Compiz Changes

amtur_poet
October 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10, and upon doing so, I noticed that the Compiz effect "Wobbly Windows" was no longer enabled. So, I went into the Compiz settings menu to re-enable it, and saw that it needed to disable Snapping Windows to do so. After I did this, the Unity sidebar no longer appears when I hover my mouse over the side of the screen. I can still bring it up by hitting the Windows key, but it's very annoying. Is there any way to fix this while keeping the Wobbly Windows effect?

amtur_poet
October 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I did undo the Wobbly Windows option, and that did fix my problem, but now whenever I move a window around, it lags horribly.

grahammechanical
October 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM
A fresh install of 12.10 even with Compiz Configuration Settings Manager will not let you get the Wobbly Windows effect or some of the others. They have simply been removed from CCSM. If you uninstalled CCSM and re-installed it you will see what I am saying to be true.

You had best leave these effects disabled. The Compiz developers have been working very hard. They still have a lot of work to do, apparently. They do not have the time to maintain these effects. So, they are being disabled to prevent instability which they are not able to correct.

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/maintainers-for-the-unsupported-plugins/

Read for yourself.

Regards.