PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Winzip in Linux?

syednasirraza
October 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM
how to unzip a file i get which is already zipped in windows using winzip..i m using ubuntu 12.04..
i have some files with me, which were zipped in windows using winzip... these are with extension .zip.... in windows winzip is used,,, how to unzip in ubuntu??? do i need to install something like winzip of windows or what to do???

Grenage
October 11th, 2012, 08:37 AM
The utility should already be there for basic zip files, much as it is in modern Windows. Right-clicking should give you the option to "extract here", otherwise, opening it normally should display the contents (opening it with Archive Manager").

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 11th, 2012, 08:37 AM
ubuntu should handle .zip out of the box
open it with file-roller

GeForce 9500GT
October 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Winzip look-a-like: Peazip (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/).

SJR Dorset
October 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I have always found 7zip to be very good.

newb85
October 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Let's not turn this into a discussion thread on our favorite zipping/unzipping tools. The OP merely wanted to know how to unzip a .zip file.

GeForce 9500GT
October 11th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Let's not turn this into a discussion thread on our favorite zipping/unzipping tools. The OP merely wanted to know how to unzip a .zip file.

First: it's not my favorite tool
Secondly: i was merely pointing out an application which has a Winzip look-and-feel.

Some people feel more comfortable with a GUI tool ;)

syednasirraza
October 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
thnx all for informative replies
got it simply done by right clicking and extracting

ALinuxWindowsBalance
October 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM
how to unzip a file i get which is already zipped in windows using winzip..i m using ubuntu 12.04..
i have some files with me, which were zipped in windows using winzip... these are with extension .zip.... in windows winzip is used,,, how to unzip in ubuntu??? do i need to install something like winzip of windows or what to do???

Ubuntu 12.04 automatically can handle several compressed files, such as ZIP, TAR, BZIP, BZ2,
the list goes on.
You can even download support for stuff like 7Z extensions!

ALinuxWindowsBalance
October 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
thnx all for informative replies
got it simply done by right clicking and extracting

This goes to show, it's more fun to go explore on your own.
Yep, I remember when I first started with zip in 11.10 just knowing when I looked at the fact that it had an icon for it and knowing it would open. Eh, enough about me. we're all glad to know you got it unzipped.

P.S
If you need more compression, try placing ZIP files IN ZIP files! the result is exponential.
:3