PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Removing XFCE

SuperFreak
October 11th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Running 12.04 with Cinnamon as my DE and I wanted to remove XFCE. I used the following command:

sudo apt-get remove xfce-keyboard-shortcuts xfce4-appfinder xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-indicator-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-notifyd xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-power-manager xfce4-power-manager-data xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-screenshooter xfce4-session xfce4-settings xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-terminal xfce4-utils xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-volumed xfce4-weather-plugin xfconf xfdesktop4 xfdesktop4-data xfwm4 xfwm4-themes xscreensaver xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xubuntu-artwork xubuntu-default-settings xubuntu-desktop xubuntu-docs xubuntu-icon-theme xubuntu-wallpapers
XFCE appears to be removed (no longer choice in login menu) but the Blue Xubuntu screen comes up on boot up. Is it possible to get rid of that?

2F4U
October 11th, 2012, 06:56 AM
You would need to change the theming of the bootloader Grub:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 11th, 2012, 07:02 AM
that is the plymouth theme

open synaptic (apt:synaptic) and search for "plymouth-theme-" there are about ~20 themes
to change what one you are using run this (the above is to get more themes)

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

SuperFreak
October 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
@pqwoerituytrueiwoq Thanks that worked perfertly