PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I change/update my BIOS from within Linux?

hanzj
October 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Dear fellow Linux users,

I have a computer that came preinstalled with Windows 7. I have since installed Linux (yipee!) on the hard drive.

My Windows OS gives me a way to update the BIOS using the laptop manufacturer's program (some exe file). But I need to know if it's possible to change the BIOS from outside of Windows (either in Linux or some limbo-land).

Thank you.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
some manufactures give you a way to flash it from the bios, you could try it using wine but i think that is just asking to brick your system
if your system is working there is not really a need to flash the bios, they usually just do something like add support or a new CPU

CharlesA
October 10th, 2012, 07:48 PM
If the manufacturer provided an exe to run to update the BIOS, you will have to run it from Windows.

+1 to not messing with a working system.

hanzj
October 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Charles,
It is because of a non-working system that I'm trying to change the BIOS.

CharlesA
October 10th, 2012, 07:51 PM
You would have to find a way to run it from Windows, but it the system is hosed, you are pretty much out of luck.

Why do you think changing the BIOS will fix a non working system?

hanzj
October 10th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Dear Charles,
The system (Windows OS system) is working, but it has a problem. And the problem is caused by updating the BIOS, using the regular/standard way of updating the BIOS: the manufacturer's software updater.

If I could go back to the older BIOS version I was using, then I'll be happy. Sadly, the manufacturer's software updater won't let me revert to an older version of BIOS.

NikTh
October 10th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi ,

some BIOS have a feature to install newer or older bios versions from within the BIOS configuration page (flash bios). You can flash a new or old BIOS without the need for O.S.

Check it out.

Thanks

CharlesA
October 10th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Dear Charles,
The system (Windows OS system) is working, but it has a problem. And the problem is caused by updating the BIOS, using the regular/standard way of updating the BIOS: the manufacturer's software updater.

If I could go back to the older BIOS version I was using, then I'll be happy. Sadly, the manufacturer's software updater won't let me revert to an older version of BIOS.
Your best bet would be to contact tech support for that PC and see what they want you to do. Most of the OEM boxes I have seen do not support flashing the bios from the setup screen, so you would need a working copy of Windows in order to try to reflash the BIOS.

As a sidenote: Do you know why the updated bios caused it to not work?

hanzj
October 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Dear Charles,
I've already tried contacting the laptop maker for tech support. But they were going to charge me to fix the problem that they caused. No thanks!

The problem with the newer BIOS is that I can no longer boot from USB.

DuckHook
October 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM
The hardware forum may be better able to help. However, I'm with CharlesA on this one. DO NOT run critical hardware utilities on any OS except the one they are designed to run on. A Windows forum may also be better able to help you for this problem.

hanzj
October 10th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Dear DuckHook, CharlesA, NikTh, pqwoerituytrueiwoq.

I no longer have a need to change my BIOS. The problem I thought I had is no longer a problem. Thank you for your input in this thread.