PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I need restricted extras at all?

kapi
October 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Just wondered if I need restricted extras because when installing 12.04 it loads all the necessary files to play media etc.

Cheers

LiamOS
October 10th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'd personally wait and see. If you come across something that needs it, then get it. If you can live without it, that's great.

newb85
October 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
when installing 12.04 it loads all the necessary files to play media etc.

What do you mean by this? During installing, Ubuntu only loads the necessary files to play open media formats. Restricted formats (such as .mp3, .wma, .m4a, and most DVD formats) won't work unless you add codecs for them, and Ubuntu Restricted Extras is a very easy way to do so.

grahammechanical
October 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
When you installed 12.04 did you tick a tick marked Install third party software? If you did then you already have Ubuntu Restricted Extras on your machine.

The practice of the Ubuntu development team is to keep Ubuntu open source but not make it difficult to install proprietary software, like video drivers and music and video codecs.

If your system works fine and you are content to limit your experience, then in that sense you do not need Restricted Extras.

some people would not install them as a matter of principle. Ubuntu gives that choice.

Regards.

newb85
October 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
When you installed 12.04 did you tick a tick marked Install third party software? If you did then you already have Ubuntu Restricted Extras on your machine.

If that's what that check-box is supposed to do, it's never worked for me. I guess I was under the impression it was only supposed to enable the repository containing URE.