PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video capture/recording software to use with EasyCap for the absolute beginner.

TheNewGuy42
October 9th, 2012, 07:40 PM
As the title says I am looking for a software package that I can use with Ubuntu for the EasyCap device that an absolute beginner can use. I am an intern with a local TV broadcasting company and while I myself am an IT guy and understand some of the information I have found so far, my supervisor has tasked me with the job of finding a video capture software program that our tv techs can use, something that pretty much is a plug and play style environment so all they have to do is run the program and push a button to make it capture the live stream and record it to the media of choice.

I'm not completely clear if he wants it to have the ability to record direct to dvd and from talking with an IT friend of mine that may not be possible with our current level of technology. However, if there is a program that does exactly that and can be used by a complete dummy when it comes to computers and programs then please lead me to it. Otherwise just having a program that does the capture and record to a hard drive database would work I'm sure.

The biggest problem is finding something that is that simple to use that these guys can just push a button so to speak and then walk away and know it's going to get the job done.

squakie
October 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
A couple of things:

you may want to see: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Easycap
a long time ago an old user anewguy had a thread about this where someone posted a solution. I have not been able to find that thread again - maybe someone can help you find it. Basically you could make a script that you could just create a launcher for (desktop icon) but you might need to feed it a title or time length or something like that.

squakie
October 9th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks to audiomik - he found this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8615766&postcount=7

TheNewGuy42
October 11th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info. My supervisor may have found a program to use, rather frustrating after all the research I've been doing but then that's the nature of these things. :)