PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't open Ubuntu Software Center

czgirb
October 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Today, I unable to open the Software Center by clicking on it.
When I tried to type the following command in the Terminal, the information as follow:

czgirb@czgirb:~$ gksudo software-center
2012-10-09 19:11:11,355 - softwarecenter.db.database - INFO - open() database: path=None use_axi=True use_agent=True
2012-10-09 19:11:11,510 - softwarecenter.backend.reviews - WARNING - Could not get usefulness from server, no username in config file
2012-10-09 19:11:11,707 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - show_available_packages: search_text is '', app is None.
2012-10-09 19:11:11,709 - softwarecenter.db.pkginfo_impl.aptcache - INFO - aptcache.open()
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/pkginfo_impl/aptcache.py", line 243, in open
self._cache = apt.Cache(GtkMainIterationProgress())
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 102, in __init__
self.open(progress)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 149, in open
self._list.read_main_list()
SystemError: E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list
2012-10-09 19:11:14,927 - softwarecenter.db.enquire - ERROR - _get_estimate_nr_apps_and_nr_pkgs failed
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/enquire.py", line 115, in _get_estimate_nr_apps_and_nr_pkgs
tmp_matches = enquire.get_mset(0, len(self.db), None, xfilter)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/appfilter.py", line 89, in __call__
if (not pkgname in self.cache and
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/pkginfo_impl/aptcache.py", line 263, in __contains__
return self._cache.__contains__(k)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__contains__'
File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 176, in <module>
app.run(args)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/app.py", line 1422, in run
self.show_available_packages(args)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/app.py", line 1352, in show_available_packages
self.view_manager.set_active_view(ViewPages.AVAILA BLE)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/session/viewmanager.py", line 154, in set_active_view
view_widget.init_view()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/panes/availablepane.py", line 171, in init_view
self.apps_filter)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/views/catview_gtk.py", line 238, in __init__
self.build(desktopdir)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/views/catview_gtk.py", line 511, in build
self._build_homepage_view()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/views/catview_gtk.py", line 271, in _build_homepage_view
self._append_whats_new()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/views/catview_gtk.py", line 450, in _append_whats_new
whats_new_cat = self._update_whats_new_content()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/views/catview_gtk.py", line 439, in _update_whats_new_content
docs = whats_new_cat.get_documents(self.db)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/categories.py", line 124, in get_documents
nonblocking_load=False)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/enquire.py", line 317, in set_query
self._blocking_perform_search()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/enquire.py", line 212, in _blocking_perform_search
matches = enquire.get_mset(0, self.limit, None, xfilter)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/appfilter.py", line 89, in __call__
if (not pkgname in self.cache and
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/pkginfo_impl/aptcache.py", line 263, in __contains__
return self._cache.__contains__(k)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__contains__'
czgirb@czgirb:~$
Please guide me to solve the problem
Thank you

NikTh
October 9th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hi ,

I don't know for sure if this error is related to USC , but take a look at this

SystemError: E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list

This is an error in your sources.list.

Give the results of
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list

We will fix this error and then we will see if this affected USC.

Thanks

czgirb
October 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM
As requested.

czgirb@czgirb:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/videolan/stable-daily/ubuntu precise main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/videolan/stable-daily/ubuntu precise main
ain
czgirb@czgirb:~$
Thank you

cortman
October 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately the quickest, easiest solution I've found for most USC problems is just reinstallation-

sudo apt-get install --reinstall software-center

And as NikTh pointed out, you want to remove that "ain" from the repository file.

czgirb
October 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
... as NikTh pointed out, you want to remove that "ain" from the repository file.

Would you mind for doing a favor by guiding me how to remove "ain" from the repository file?

NikTh
October 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Would you mind for doing a favor by guiding me how to remove "ain" from the repository file?

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list

remove "ain" , save and close the file

Then in terminal run

sudo apt-get update

and as @cortman suggested

sudo apt-get install --reinstall software-center
sudo update-software-center

If any errors occurred , post them back here.

Thanks

matt_symes
October 9th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hi

The quickest way to do this is, open a terminal and type (or copy and paste)

sudo sed -i 3d /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list Enter your password. It will not be echoed to the screen.

It will delete the third line from the file and it does need to be removed. You can check this by catting the file again.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list

Try the software center after that.

Kind regards

NikTh
October 9th, 2012, 11:57 PM
The quickest way to do this is, open a terminal and type (or copy and paste)

sudo sed -i 3d /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.list Enter your password. It will not be echoed to the screen.

And how you know that the 3rd line is "ain" ? Maybe he copied-pasted wrong the output and 2 blank lines exists between the 2nd and "ain"
:lolflag:

It will delete the third line from the file and it does need to be removed. You can check this by catting the file again.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.listTry the software center after that.

But cat command is a safety "valve" . ;)

And as I told already here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2067894) (post #15)
sed is magic :)

matt_symes
October 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hi

And how you know that the 3rd line is "ain" ? Maybe he copied-pasted wrong the output and 2 blank lines exists between the 2nd and "ain"
:lolflag:

I have seen this error a number of times so experience helps here :)

The output of the cat command showed the third line was 'ain' and the error from software centers traceback also highlighted 'ain' as an error. This really does point to it being an error.

sed is not so arcane when you understand it. I'll explain what that command i posed does for you.

sudo sed -i 3d /etc/apt/sources.list.d/videolan-stable-daily-precise.listsudo => To edit the ppa file requires elevated privileges.
sed => The sed command.
-i => In place edit. Make changes to the actual file.
3d => Delete the third line from the file.
lastly => The name of the file to edit.

As i stated, that file does need to be edited to remove that errant line. It may, and could well, not be the only problem but it is a problem that does need to be fixed.

But cat command is a safety "valve" . ;)

And as I told already here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2067894) (post #15)
sed is magic :)There are many good tutorials on the net for sed and, i agree, cat is a good way to check the changes made to a file along with the less command for larger files.

I hope i have helped clarify my post as i am only here to help :D

Kind regards