PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mac Mini and Ubuntu

Sammyinnit
October 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hi,

I recently got myself a cheap second hand mac mini, only for watching movies on my TV, but the Mac OSX was pretty crap (10.3) and I can't upgrade to 10.5 because I only have a HD image, and I cant wipe the HD without the origional MacMini CD, which I don't have.

So I was just going to install Ubuntu onto it. I can't boot into OSX, no idea whats wrong.

Is there a way to boot into ubuntu setup from CD? :confused:

will1982
October 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Yes, insert the CD and hold "option" on your keyboard.

tested on mid-2011 Macbook air, but it should work.

Lars Noodén
October 8th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Usually holding down the 'c' key while it starts up should do the job. Were you able to get a PPC mini?

Sammyinnit
October 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM
It is a PPC G4 Mac Mini.

And what a pain I'm having with it.

I have a wireless logitech keyboard, so I am struggling to get into any boot options/boot from CD with that keyboard on a cold boot.

This is something I posted on a mac forum describing the problem.

Thats my problem atm. I have the PPC latest release on CD. Burnt the ISO direct to disc, but I can't get it to boot.

I'm using a logitech wireless keyboard and dont have a wired USB keyboard to hand. Not sure what to press to have it cold boot from CD?

Would a Live CD respond differently?

Also - Problems with OSX now, since I've put the CD in all I get is rapid flashing white text on black background along the lines of:

lyld: -sh can't open library: /usr/lib/libcurses.5.4.dylib - Some error text and:
init:single user shell terminated, restarting

Just hangs on that

Lars Noodén
October 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I think you might need to have a wired keyboard for this, at least at the start.

Sammyinnit
October 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I think you might need to have a wired keyboard for this, at least at the start.

My brother is being a pal, and bringing a wired USB keyboard down to me shortly. It's not a mac keyboard tho, should this effect it?

Lars Noodén
October 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
It should be fine with a non-Mac keyboard, I use one all the time. I do notice that it is not helpful to hold down the C key too long. If I do so, then the keyboard is unresponsive on the first screen of the CD/DVD.

Sammyinnit
October 9th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'm trying with C held down, and it just keeps spitting the disc back out at me, on a wired keyboard now.

Lars Noodén
October 9th, 2012, 05:25 PM
If the mouse button (left) is held down, that would eject the disc, too. Do you have the powerpc version of Ubuntu?

http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/file?info_hash=%F1%27%D8%E1%BA%FB%EB%D9%FD%1BI%5CT Jn%08%C6I%15%D8

Sammyinnit
October 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
If the mouse button (left) is held down, that would eject the disc, too. Do you have the powerpc version of Ubuntu?

http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/file?info_hash=%F1%27%D8%E1%BA%FB%EB%D9%FD%1BI%5CT Jn%08%C6I%15%D8

ubuntu-12.04-desktop-powerpc.iso

Wasn't a mouse plugged in just now.

The only thing I can get the mac to respond to is the 'alt' menu, which shows the HDD with OSX installed?

Sammyinnit
October 11th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Bump :/

Tsaukpaetra
December 9th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I've been having issues as well. I can get to the graphical boot selection screen holding Alt, but for the life of me I can't move the mouse or do much at all. Once I got it to eject the CD (After which I guess the Mac thought I was holding the key down, whatever it was) and another time to move over to the CD (It /does/ get detected), but that's about it for all of my frustrations.
I'm going to take it to a Apple Store and see if they'll allow me to do it there.