PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh install

CoyoteMoss
October 7th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Have a laptop with new hard drive. Do I have to install Windows before installing ubuntu? I attemped boot from CD where I copied the .iso file and attempted same form usb drive. Set to system to boot to these, but does nothing. I just want to use only ubuntu - no windows. Is this even possible. Everything on the web seems so simple on a windows machine.

Peripheral Visionary
October 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
No need for Windows! Is it possible at power-up to boot your computer from the LiveCD or USB? On mine it is done when you first hit the power button during that little display of the manufacturer's logo (in my case Dell). At the top (usually) of the screen are the options, F1 for this F2 for that... on mine it's F12 for boot options. I hit that several times rapidly before that screen disappears and select the CD-ROM as my "first boot device." ENTER and go from there.

Perhaps the iso you burned was a "data" file rather than an image (not a picture). Your computer can't boot from a data file. That's just something else to check.

offgridguy
October 7th, 2012, 04:15 PM
,I installed ubuntu 12.04 on a restored laptop with a new hard drive, you don't need windows first,
I prefer it this way as ubuntu is the only operating system. I did try a dual boot on another laptop
and had a lot more complications.
Idid install from a CD, not a download then burnt copy, but the actual manufacturer copy, had to pay for it ,only about 4$ and wait for it to come but I did avoid a lot of the install issues I read about here.
If you are used to windows you will go through a learning curve as the two systems are different,
but give it a trial.

mips
October 7th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Have a laptop with new hard drive. Do I have to install Windows before installing ubuntu? I attemped boot from CD where I copied the .iso file and attempted same form usb drive. Set to system to boot to these, but does nothing. I just want to use only ubuntu - no windows. Is this even possible. Everything on the web seems so simple on a windows machine.

No, you don;t have to install windows first if you don't want windows.

How did you write the iso to cd and usb?

You have to burn it as an image file to the cd. Simply copying and burning it as a data cd wont work.

You can try using unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to write it to usb.

See option/screen #1 here http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#install
Just point it to the downloaded image and then specify the usb stick.

Boot your laptop and at the bios screen select the boot options and tell it to boot from the usb. Select cdrom to boot from a cd.

CoyoteMoss
October 7th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Thank you for helping me out. The disk as image was the problem. I do appreciate seriously your help. It's installed and I am loving this. Again Thanks to each of you.

mips
October 7th, 2012, 10:41 PM
All's well that ends well.

Peripheral Visionary
October 7th, 2012, 11:31 PM
It's installed and I am loving this. Again Thanks to each of you.

:KS:KS:KSYaaaay! :KS:KS:KS

We're here to help and happy to do it!