PDA

View Full Version : New Linux Based Computer - But Not Marketed as Such?

GregA
October 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I've been reading (AARP Magazine) and other sources about the "Telikin (aka "Wow")" Computer. Advertised as the first computer for "Seniors" and worlds easiest computer to learn. This system's been getting a lot of attention, including ads on the Rachel Ray show etc.

Of interest to me (and other folks) is whether the underlying system is Linux (or even Ubuntu) based. I've read that the head of technology for this company (Telikin) does have extensive Linux experience.

Any thoughts? Maybe this is based on Android, although I'm still inclined to think it's based on a more mature, robust Linux system such as debian, fedora, or ubuntu.

Here's the Link: http://www.telikin.com/index.php

GregA
October 6th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Moderators - - pls feel free to delete or merge this thread - - initially, I added this as another angle to the same topic (re the Telikin PC) . . thanks.

Interesting system - the Telikin PC. Sold on Amazon, Sears, Best Buy and other major onliners. Uses linux back-end, but proprietary Telikin front end. I do wish the company success, but it's too bad the system can't be marketed safely as a Linux system. The "Seniors" market segment is huge, and will be growing.

Too bad Mark & company couldn't have come up with this from Canonical. Perhaps someone (other than MS and Apple) should look into acquiring Telikin.

Any thoughts?

http://www.telikin.com/index.php

jerrrys
October 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Nope the company isn't talking about the OS, but a search on "telikin OS" revealed that there are flaws/bugs that telikin has acknowledge. So im seeing red flags.

jack454
October 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
This is on their website.
http://www.telikin.com/open_source.php

oldos2er
October 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

GregA
October 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks Jack - - that answers the basic question as to whether or not their system is based on Linux. Kind of interesting that they chose "Tiny Core" Linux. The engineering group apparently has a good handle on the technology involved, including development of their custom user interface.

What's also interesting to me is they've chosen a strategy of no Linux marketing etc. That has up sides and down sides. The up sides are less interference from the power players (MS & Apple), among others, but the down side is no community support and assistance for the user base.

IF this system were to start really selling (as in 100k or more units), MS and Apple will start paying attention - as in copyright litigation, or even outright purchase and suppression.

I'll continue to track this as I think the concept and plan is a great one - - I hope Telikin is successful.

kurt18947
October 6th, 2012, 06:45 PM
<snip>
IF this system were to start really selling (as in 100k or more units), MS and Apple will start paying attention - as in copyright litigation, or even outright purchase and suppression.

I'll continue to track this as I think the concept and plan is a great one - - I hope Telikin is successful.

The target market of this machine might make litigation 'awkward', I'd think. "Why are you picking on Grandma/Grandpa?". I too find the choice of Tinycore a bit curious.

Easy Limits
October 6th, 2012, 10:28 PM
On their web site it says it's "virus resistant".

critin
October 6th, 2012, 10:33 PM
The "Seniors" market segment is huge, and will be growing.
Any thoughts?An "Up & Comer"? I don't think so..

Any time I see a computer or other technical apparatus advertised as 'for Seniors', it's main functions are always 'easy email, photo sharing and web browsing', with emphasis on 'easy'. Nothing more. There are other ways to use a computer, and I imagine even 'Seniors' know a few of them.

I don't like the simple, toy-like appearance of this one and it's too expensive for what you get. What justifies the price of $600? I couldn't find anything about being able to download apps, so what you see is what you get? No mention of memory or disk size. No mention of cd player or usb ports.

Computers for children are similar and the cost is much less. Even Apple is making one cheaper. I find it offensive to assume Seniors would actually spend so much to get so little just because they're older.

Just my thoughts and my opinion.

buzzingrobot
October 6th, 2012, 10:38 PM
What's also interesting to me is they've chosen a strategy of no Linux marketing etc.

"Linux" wouldn't be a selling point in their market. Not sure what ground MS would have to litigate. That said, I'd bet they get nowhere near the 100k sales mark.

Almost everyone who doesn't need significant storage capacity and/or doesn't spend hours at the keyboard should just buy an iPad. Seriously.

teward
October 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM
On their web site it says it's "virus resistant".

As if that's a legitimate technical claim. Linux in and of itself is resistant because there's not as many Linux viruses out there as there are Mac and Windows viruses. So their claim isnt based on any actual technical details, just that there's not as many viruses actually out there.

buzzingrobot
October 6th, 2012, 11:04 PM
As if that's a legitimate technical claim. Linux in and of itself is resistant because there's not as many Linux viruses out there as there are Mac and Windows viruses. So their claim isnt based on any actual technical details, just that there's not as many viruses actually out there.

Not too many people care if it's a legitimate technical claim, as in it is invulnerable code. Almost are viruses, etc., target Windows. Linux machines are, in fact, resistant to anything that depends on Windows code being there. Ditto OS X.

Presumably, a major target for this machine consists of older people who have older Windows computers that are driving them crazy because of malware. (I know people in that category who just stopped using the PC.) They'd rather not bang their heads on the wall dealing with all that nonsense. The "virus resistant" thing will catch their attention.

cariboo907
October 7th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Merged two similar threads.

Blackmag+c
October 8th, 2012, 12:29 AM
A massive assumption that 'seniors' have a lesser ability to grasp new concepts here. I know of plenty of people who are considered seniors that have a similar level of knowledge to a lot of youthful 'techy' kids. You might as well have branded it 'fisher price' somehow.

I figure by the picture that it's just a slightly gaudier version of the chrome OS concept. Which I am sad to say I am yet to try.

I smell a whiff of patronizing the old though.

critin
October 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM
A massive assumption that 'seniors' have a lesser ability to grasp new concepts here. I know of plenty of people who are considered seniors that have a similar level of knowledge to a lot of youthful 'techy' kids. You might as well have branded it 'fisher price' somehow.

I figure by the picture that it's just a slightly gaudier version of the chrome OS concept. Which I am sad to say I am yet to try.

I smell a whiff of patronizing the old though.

Assuming lesser ability is just insulting. Patronizing might be too nice, exploiting is the point.

Yes, from their site:
The "Seniors" market segment is huge, and will be growing. And they hope to get in on it. I really don't blame them for trying to corner the market, but they should be more subtle about who they're targeting---and not charge so much.

I tried chrome OS for a few days and it was perfect for doing the same things this one does. And it's free. Trouble is, too many people are not aware of the free ones or think they're too hard to run.

Did I read somewhere that Firefox was building their own OS or was it just a 'they should'? Many people do only need a good browser OS to get on the web. But for $600 dollars? Not likely.

Bucky Ball
October 8th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Minimal install, add Xfce4, Thunderbird, Firefox, a word processor and a couple of other things and what's the diff? I have a computer I couldn't give away running that, forget the six hundred clams ...

And yes, the whole thing stinks of 'ageism'. Wouldn't go near it myself ...

Linuxratty
October 8th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Did I read somewhere that Firefox was building their own OS or was it just a 'they should'?

Just cause you are old, does not mean you are not computer savvy.

Yeah, the FF OS is for real.

Firefox OS (project name: Boot to Gecko also known as B2G)[2] is an open source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_OS

GregA
October 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this type of "all-in-one" simplified system has a base audience of 200k to 2,000k in the next 5 years, just in the US, Canada, UK & AusNZ markets.

Here why it's possible:

- Competive price ($600-$1000) (for an all-in-one machine with touch screen and keyboard, built in wireless, camera, microphone, speakers, 500gb HD, CD/DVD, etc.)
- Free Software (web and local machine apps, from custom repo),
- Free Tech Support dial-in and chat for 1 year
- Custom interface that's easier to use than Ipad, Win Legacy or 8, Buntu's et all, Android, WebOS, etc..
- Channel partners in the target audience

There is no competing OS/Hardware combo that's as simple as this (in my view), plus, unlike tablet technology, you're getting a real system with HDD, Standard Ports, Print Support, "Complex-Mature Apps", and security that's on par with Linux/Unix systems. You can actually "create" on this system rather than just "consume" data. Yes, there is some creation also on Tablet/Smart phone systems, but it's actually quite paltry in comparison (online shopping, email replies, texting, etc.).

Anyway, the above are just some of my personal views and opinions, . . . and I'm in no way connected with this product or company (and don't plan to buy or become affiliated).

The video "born before 64" on their website is the most informative, and provides a decent idea of what the product can do for the right audience.

The business potential is real - - if Telikin doesn't mess it up.

catlover2
October 8th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I wonder what happens if you press Ctrl+Alt+F1? :roll:

EDIT: Just noticed this https://www.telikin.com/img/prod_gallery/telikin18_back.jpg looks a lot like this http://msi.com/product/aio/Wind-Top-AE1920.html.

GregA
October 8th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I think you're right on - Telikin is obviously using MSI as hardware source. There's some variation in mobo & chipset specs, but MSI has a large array of HW, even getting into higher-end graphics gaming.

So, it seems the main contribution of Telikin is to customize Tiny Core Linux to support their Touch-Screen design. Actually, pretty smart. The venturists have pumped some capital into this. We'll see if marketing, strong user support, and WOM (word of mouth) will be enough to make it a commercial success story.

FredAllegrezza
October 10th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Hey Guys,
Telikin was developed on the TinyCore Linux. Our primary goal of using Linux was to avoid viruses, spyware, and malware. We also chose TinyCore to have an option of an embedded version in the future. I am not a Linux expert. Tim, Megan, Adam, Cliff and Carl work on the OS and back office systems. We also have an application team developoing the apps on Java.
We also selected TinyCore to have a platform that was easy for us to manage updates for the users. Our background was in cable where settop boxes have a lot of software but it is managed for the end users.

We agree that there are many tech savvy seniors. We built the computer for those that are not comfortable with computers. About 50% of our users have never used a copmputer before. We were not targeting tech savvy seniors. They have Windows and Mac as options.

We decided to include a number of applications so the end users would not need to load and manage application. In addition we know the apps and if when a customer calls in we know what they are using. I think of this more as an application system.

A big part of the business is support. We built in a remote management service for all computers so we can remotly show our users how to use applications.

The specs are on the web site.

As a value proposition telikin serves a niche market, included software applications and great support. We undertand it is not for everyone, but there are a number of happy users.

Hope this helps.

Fred Allegrezza CEO Telikin.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 10th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Hey Guys,
Telikin was developed on the TinyCore Linux. Our primary goal of using Linux was to avoid viruses, spyware, and malware. We also chose TinyCore to have an option of an embedded version in the future. I am not a Linux expert. Tim, Megan, Adam, Cliff and Carl work on the OS and back office systems. We also have an application team developoing the apps on Java.
We also selected TinyCore to have a platform that was easy for us to manage updates for the users. Our background was in cable where settop boxes have a lot of software but it is managed for the end users.

We agree that there are many tech savvy seniors. We built the computer for those that are not comfortable with computers. About 50% of our users have never used a copmputer before. We were not targeting tech savvy seniors. They have Windows and Mac as options.

We decided to include a number of applications so the end users would not need to load and manage application. In addition we know the apps and if when a customer calls in we know what they are using. I think of this more as an application system.

A big part of the business is support. We built in a remote management service for all computers so we can remotly show our users how to use applications.

The specs are on the web site.

As a value proposition telikin serves a niche market, included software applications and great support. We undertand it is not for everyone, but there are a number of happy users.

Hope this helps.

Fred Allegrezza CEO Telikin.

Cool! Thanks for posting. I think this demonstrates one of my favourite things about free software: with so much working code in the open, it seems to be quite possible to focus on specific use cases and reach out to particular people, instead of products needing to be something for everyone :)

I'm really curious about this. Any hint about some of the software stack it's running on? Is it mostly a hand-made user interface running on Linux, or do you inherit any components / libraries from GNOME or some such?

Also, I would love to know what kind of accessibility features this has. I recently set up Ubuntu for an almost legally blind person, using really big text, GNOME Panel and a high contrast theme. Still on a small laptop, though, so it's kind of unpleasant. I wonder if this could be another option.

NormanFLinux
October 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sounds like Telikin is taking the open source Tiny Core Linux and integrating with its own proprietary GUI.

Its looks like a Linux take on Apple - a company that has produced the world's most beautiful - and expensive - UNIX operating system that runs on Apple-produced hardware.

Looks like this is what Telikin is trying to do with Linux - if they can create a beautiful and user-friendly interface with the power of open source UNIX, people won't care that its not Windows.

I don't know if we need an Apple clone but I wish them success!

Swagman
October 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I think it's actually quite kewl the the CEO posted on here.

How did he find out it was being discussed here for example ?

btw.. I wish you success

[edit]

One thing that does grate me is the assumption that (all) oldsters are now a bit thick.

They invented/improved & built the computers the young uns now take for granted (and probably used a slide rule for their calculations)

NUboon2Age
November 21st, 2012, 02:57 AM
An "Up & Comer"? I don't think so..
I don't like the simple, toy-like appearance of this one and it's too expensive for what you get. What justifies the price of $600? I couldn't find anything about being able to download apps, so what you see is what you get? No mention of memory or disk size. No mention of cd player or usb ports.

Well I looked deeper into it (like I bothered to watch some videos of it), and see its not "toy like" at all but simply an all-in-one PC from MSI running Tiny Core Linux with an all-in-one type app that covers everything many seniors (and folks who want more of a computer-as-appliance "computer for the rest of us" kinda thing) want. Perfect! It has a 320G hard disk and all the specs are generous. Well priced! Heck if you didn't like the software as is, I imagine one could figure out how to dual boot it with Ubuntu or other OSs. So I completely refute this negative attitude towards this clever machine. Sure its not Ubuntu or set up for a general computer user, but then that's not what its designed for.

NUboon2Age
November 21st, 2012, 02:59 AM
Nope the company isn't talking about the OS, but a search on "telikin OS" revealed that there are flaws/bugs that telikin has acknowledge. So im seeing red flags.

Well I saw those reviews from last year too. I would think major bugs have been resolved by now. No major red flags