PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Irritating message

Barney-R
October 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Hello everybody,

I've been here a few times, but still consider myself a beginner, so I hope it's ok to post this here.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick, which is no longer supported, but Update Manager keeps giving me a message (red triangle) saying the update information is out of date.

When I try to check (merely to appease it in the hope of clearing that "warning"), it returns a couple of "404" page not found messages, so then I get a message saying the update failed, and the warning triangle is still there.

It's not a serious annoyance, but I'd like to find a way of getting rid of it, perhaps by stopping Update Manager monitoring the system.

Does anyone know a way of doing this that won't affect anything else?

If I need to enter a terminal command, please try to keep it simple, or to explain each command. I've still got a lot to learn.

Btw, I'll be off-line for the next couple of days, but will check back next week.

cway00
October 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hello everybody,

I've been here a few times, but still consider myself a beginner, so I hope it's ok to post this here.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick, which is no longer supported, but Update Manager keeps giving me a message (red triangle) saying the update information is out of date.

When I try to check (merely to appease it in the hope of clearing that "warning"), it returns a couple of "404" page not found messages, so then I get a message saying the update failed, and the warning triangle is still there.

It's not a serious annoyance, but I'd like to find a way of getting rid of it, perhaps by stopping Update Manager monitoring the system.

Does anyone know a way of doing this that won't affect anything else?

If I need to enter a terminal command, please try to keep it simple, or to explain each command. I've still got a lot to learn.

Btw, I'll be off-line for the next couple of days, but will check back next week.

This will only stop the update notifier

In your terminal, type the following command:

gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch falseTo recover

gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch trueHope it helps

Barney-R
October 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
That was quick! Thank you cway00.

Cheesemill
October 6th, 2012, 12:44 PM
If I were you I would seriously consider upgrading to a later version.

As 10.10 has reached end-of life you no longer receive any support or security updates, meaning that your system is wide open to attacks that use exploits that have been discovered in the last 6 months.