PDA

View Full Version : The Windows "Kill Switch"

DR_K13
June 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Mods- Delete/move this if its a repost.

Originally Posted by http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84
June 27, 2006
Is Microsoft about to release a Windows "kill switch"?
Posted by Ed Bott @ 8:06 am
Digg This!

Two weeks ago, I wrote about my serious objections to Microsoft’s latest salvo in the war against unauthorized copies of Windows. Two Windows Genuine Advantage components are being pushed onto users’ machines with insufficient notification and inadequate quality control, and the result is a big mess. (For details, see Microsoft presses the Stupid button.)

Guess what? WGA might be on the verge of getting even messier. In fact, one report claims WGA is about to become a Windows “kill switch” – and when I asked Microsoft for an on-the-record response, they refused to deny it.

Last week, a correspondent on Dave Farber’s Interesting People list posted some comments about his experiences with Windows OneCare Live. In the middle of the post, he added this tidbit:

I like to review updates before they are installed. The only update that I have not installed is the latest WGA because of the security issues related to it.

I called Microsoft support to see if there is a hidden option to say, "yep, I've got updates turned to manual… it's okay." The rep said, "No and why wouldn't you want to get the latest updates to Windows."

I responded with the issues relating to WGA. He spent some time telling me that WGA was a good thing, etc. I reiterated that I have accepted all the updates except WGA and just want to review the updates before they're installed on my machine.

He told me that "in the fall, having the latest WGA will become mandatory and if its not installed, Windows will give a 30 day warning and when the 30 days is up and WGA isn't installed, Windows will stop working, so you might as well install WGA now." [emphasis added]

I'm wondering if Microsoft has the right to disable Windows functionality or the OS as a whole (tantamount to revoking my legitimate Windows license) if I do not install every piece of software that they send it updates.

That can’t be true, can it? I’m always suspicious of any report that comes from a front-line tech support drone, so I sent a note to Microsoft asking for an official confirmation or, better yet, a denial. Instead, I got this terse response from a Microsoft spokesperson:

As we have mentioned previously, as the WGA Notifications program expands in the future, customers may be required to participate. [emphasis added] Microsoft is gathering feedback in select markets to learn how it can best meet its customers' needs and will keep customers informed of any changes to the program.

That’s it. That’s the entire response.

Uh-oh. Currently, Windows users have the ability to opt out of the Windows Genuine Advantage program and still get security patches and other Critical Updates delivered via Windows Update. The only thing you give up is the ability to download optional updates. Hackers have been working overtime to find ways to disable WGA notification. If WGA becomes mandatory, would it mean that Microsoft could prevent Windows from working if it determines – possibly erroneously – that your copy isn’t “genuine”? That’s a chilling possibility, and Microsoft refuses an easy opportunity to deny that that option is in its plans.

Over at Ed Bott’s Windows Expertise, I’ve been soliciting feedback from Windows users who’ve been burned by WGA. So far, I’ve received 20 comments. Here’s a sampling:

I have an XP Media center with a promise RAID 0 4-disc array. When I installed the WPA it broke the drivers for the array by causing failed delayed writes (half of the array just “disapears”.) If I do a system restore to before the installation of the WPA everything goes back to working just fine.
[S]ince installing WPA … I’ve had blue screens and a total inability to boot. I had to run the XP repair function to get the computer to boot. I had a damaged boot sector on the hard drive. I am running two drives on a RAID 1 config.
I purchased a SEALED OEM copy of XP Professional. WGA said the license key was already used. I called MS and they said I should uninstall and buy another copy. I told them I wasn’t made of money and hung-up.
Microsoft rejected the product key that came with the ThinkPad I’m using. I had to call in and they gave me another code to enter which supposedly worked but now I get the blue screen of death about every other time I reboot. I’ve also lost all internet connectivity.
I sent my Compaq Presario notebook for service repair, and it fails the WGA check. I have a legal version of windows xp professional on it. But I have no way to correct this problem.

What’s most disturbing about this whole saga is Microsoft’s complete lack of transparency on the issue. And before the ABM crowd jumps in with predictable “What did you expect?” comments, let me argue that Microsoft actually has a fairly good track record on transparency issues in recent years. Windows Product Activation is very well documented, and when a similar uproar occurred in 2001, it was squelched quickly by some fairly prominent postings from high-level executives who provided details without a lot of spin. Likewise, the Microsoft Security Response Center has done an exceptional job at providing quick responses to security issues. (Just ask Adam Shostack.)

Currently, no one at Microsoft is blogging about this fiasco. No executive has been quoted on the record about it. There are very few technical details available, and those that have been published are being tumbled through the spin machine and spit out as press releases.

If Microsoft really does plan to turn WGA into a kill switch in September, be prepared for an enormous backlash.

my take-

Microsoft is really f-ed up. The last straw for me was when my harddrive crashed one day. I called microsoft because it wouldnt accept the key after I installed. So the lady at MS said that my Copy of Wintendo XP had been activated too many times, and that I would have to buy another key. I told her that I had 3 HD failures in the last year ( maxtor :mad: ) and that now I got a Seagate so I excpect it to last a long time and to please give me another key. She said no still! This went back and forth, spoke to the MGR, and he said no. So I told them to have fun working for skynet , hung up,
did some things to XP that I cant talk about here , WGA is installed s and gave the box to my grandma. Now I will only run open source OSes because I want it to be MY OS , I want to be able to do with it as I please, this spending good $$ on a microsoft OS and not being able to use it in ways that I see fit, let alone reinstall it on my computer is BS

raffytaffy
June 30th, 2006, 03:28 PM
whoever uses microsoft..i recomend using firewall to block M$ from accesing your puter..also turn auto updates off:P

Chimes
June 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Fine. Let them push away Windows users. All the more people who will use linux.

They're shooting themselves in the foot by setting up all these complicated rigs just to make themselves more money.

If this is really going to happen, it may provide them with a temporary boost of funds from people wanting to get their OS working again, but in the long run, it's going to make more people dissatisfied with Windows, and more people looking for a better, free OS - something that linux can provide them with.

Let them screw around like that. It's only going to hurt them in the long run.

DR_K13
June 30th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Fine. Let them push away Windows users. All the more people who will use linux.

They're shooting themselves in the foot by setting up all these complicated rigs just to make themselves more money.

If this is really going to happen, it may provide them with a temporary boost of funds from people wanting to get their OS working again, but in the long run, it's going to make more people dissatisfied with Windows, and more people looking for a better, free OS - something that linux can provide them with.

Let them screw around like that. It's only going to hurt them in the long run.

I hear that.

G Morgan
June 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think the point is to cause XP to 'break' before Vista comes out. If everyone starts getting problems using XP then there is more incentive to get a new OS of course, the key is to point them towards Ubuntu or Linux in general.

John.Michael.Kane
June 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Well there's that old saying "the one who owns the software owns the computer it is installed on" it would seem theres alot of truth to that from what is posted.

DR_K13
June 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Well there's that old saying "the one who owns the software owns the computer it is installed on" it would seem theres alot of truth to that from what is posted.

You would think, but according to Microsoft, you are leasing the OS from them.

:-\"

John.Michael.Kane
June 30th, 2006, 05:12 PM
DR_K13 thats why i said the one who owns the software owns the computer. ie: Microsoft owns the software thus owns the machine it's installed on.

DR_K13
June 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM
DR_K13 thats why i said the one who owns the software owns the computer. ie: Microsoft owns the software thus owns the machine it's installed on.

ooops

I just sent my co-worker to get me another coffee, guess i need to wake up/

#-o

raptros-v76
June 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM
you know what this is a sign of? it is a sign of how microsoft will die. look at how microsoft has gotten as time progressed. its been having more an more of this BS occur as the first generation of leaders have become less and less active. when Balmer retires, the new managers will be arrogent and foolish, microsoft products will become more and more unusable, and people will look for alternatives. and they will find linux, as many already have.

G Morgan
June 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM
when Balmer retires, the new managers will be arrogent and foolish,

Exactly they're too fancy pants to throw chairs around. I'm sure Balmers antics support MS just through the sheer comedy of it all.

raptros-v76
June 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
yeah!! exactly! the only thing that keeps microsoft alive is the antics and the first generation knowing why microsoft worked! the second generation is going to f*** up, and people are going to be sick of windows

xtacocorex
June 30th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I don't think that Microsoft will fully die, just their Windows division.

I think that MS Office could live on after the Windows collapse, but unless they port it to other platforms, I could see that die too.

The catch-22 to this is that enough people are so used to Windows that they could prevent a collapse of Windows by still wanting to use it, because they don't want to learn anything else.

My wife still thinks that Linux is hard, probably because when I started using it, it was hard for me to understand. But I worked through it and will pass that knowledge on to her when the time comes (Vista release).

raptros-v76
June 30th, 2006, 06:28 PM
once the percentage of windows users slips below a certain point, windows will be gone. microsoft needs windows in order to survive.

croak77
June 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
once the percentage of windows users slips below a certain point, windows will be gone. microsoft needs windows in order to survive.

Dream on. Windows isn't going anywhere. They dominate the home OS market and that ain't gonna change.

G Morgan
June 30th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Dream on. Windows isn't going anywhere. They dominate the home OS market and that ain't gonna change.

Strange this continual reduction in Windows usage and general increase in Linux publicity is all imaginary. MS may be dominant in the corperate USA but in Europe a whole stack of public offices have already gone OSS. With a load of the EU's member states not running Windows and with the Chinese determined to make Linux a success you have to question whether Windows will exist outside the US 10 years from now.

I've said it on this forum before. I know non geeks who use Linux who could afford Windows. They did this entirely on their own (I didn't realise they used it until recently) with no prompting from the geek population of my town.

People who believe Windows will be here forever are quite frankly insane. Everyone thought IBM would be the big dog forever too.

nuvo
June 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Windows won't be around forever.
The thing people forget is that Windows is thought of the easierst OS to jump in and use and in a world where there's so many that still have no knowlage of computers, "ease of use" is a pretty big factor.
As Linux progresses in terms of usability (granted, a user could learn how to use the terminal, but if they are using Linux for work, they may not want to spend more time setting something up than they might with a GUI) and Apple's computers come down in price due to using more standardised hardware, I wouldn't be surprised to see Windows' market share fall.
Microsoft has already been critisized over poor security and anti-trust claims and people who know about computers view their attitude towards modern practices as less than great (the "Open Source is theft", "Linux is for commies" and "My faimily is banned from having iPods" quotes of Balmer didn't help).
The main problem is that Linux doesn't have the commercial support of Windows as commercial developers aren't as interested in supporting an open platform with less desktop users due to the fact that it'd make them very little and people who spend a lot of money on PC's, such as gamers and desktop application developers don't see Apple products as a viable alternative as games usually pop up on OS X much later and there's no point developing with OS X and Windows if you're targeting Windows users.

If more people knew more about *nix OS's such as OS X and Linux and either knew how to use Linux or could afford Apple computers, Windows would start losing more of it's user base.
The problem is that people don't know about OS's, don't see Linux as a viable desktop OS due to it's lack of big name applications, just think of Apple systems as fancy and overpriced 'lifestyle' systems and generally go for the OS with the most applications which are constantly flashed in their faces.

You can open any web programming magzine and see adverts for Dreamweaver and Photoshop, but you never see adverts for GIMP or nVU because free projects don't have the money to buy advertising space and if a person buys into the whole "Dreamweaver is the web design tool for you" thing, they are more likely to want Dreamweaver, and thus a platform that it will run on.

croak77
June 30th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Strange this continual reduction in Windows usage and general increase in Linux publicity is all imaginary. MS may be dominant in the corperate USA but in Europe a whole stack of public offices have already gone OSS. With a load of the EU's member states not running Windows and with the Chinese determined to make Linux a success you have to question whether Windows will exist outside the US 10 years from now.

I've said it on this forum before. I know non geeks who use Linux who could afford Windows. They did this entirely on their own (I didn't realise they used it until recently) with no prompting from the geek population of my town.

People who believe Windows will be here forever are quite frankly insane. Everyone thought IBM would be the big dog forever too.

You really think Microsoft won't exist outside the US 10 years from now? Microsoft could lose half their consumers and they would still be #1. Not that I'm trying to defend Microsoft, I haven't used Windows since W98 at home, but they have a dominant market position.

I don't think the IBM comparison is apt. First of all IBM is a much bigger company then Microsoft (about 4x as many employees). IBM has been around for almost 100 years and is still a market leader. If you are referring to their PC sales, then yes they no longer are in that business. But in the 2005 fiscal year they did post a revenue of $91.1 billion US which is more then Microsoft. I'd say that qualifies them as a "big dog".

NeoChaosX
June 30th, 2006, 11:30 PM
So some Microsoft tech support person told them this? How can we know that this is a reliable source? For all we know, this tech person said it to get the guy to install WGA.

I'm sorry to ruin the anti-Microsoft roll you are all on, but until there's something more reliable (and I don't mean a blog entry about a blog entry that reports this, as this was) that confirms that this is true, I'm rather doubtful about all "the sky is falling" claims people are making in light of this revelation.

bruce89
June 30th, 2006, 11:36 PM
So some Microsoft tech support person told them this? How can we know that this is a reliable source? For all we know, this tech person said it to get the guy to install WGA.

I'm sorry to ruin the anti-Microsoft roll you are all on, but until there's something more reliable (and I don't mean a blog entry about a blog entry that reports this, as this was) that confirms that this is true, I'm rather doubtful about this.
Alright - http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001559

NeoChaosX
June 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Alright - http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001559
So a feature like what's being feared is going into corporate versions of Vista. Then why are people making a big deal that it's going to be done to consumer versions of Windows XP, when Microsoft has set no plans to do so?

bruce89
June 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Microsoft's response - http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=88. I realise this is just one guy's speculation, so it's just a hunch really.

I find the false positives they are getting at IBM quite funny. IBM might sue over it.

Stromham
July 1st, 2006, 03:50 AM
thats why i switched to linux b/c of the WGA and my version is not legit.

Admiral Valdemar
July 1st, 2006, 10:49 PM
So, essentially, it's the worst fears of what XP was going to bring to the table, but with Vista now and, seemingly, on track to be a real pain.

Great. I never liked the idea of Windows sending info without my consent back to home base, or getting updates I couldn't look over. This is making me very wary of how Microsoft is taking the piracy issue now, especially in an age of RIAA/MPAA DRM and StarForce.

raptros-v76
July 2nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
its a sign of the second generation of managers being overconfident! notice how microsoft stuff has become more painful? you know why microsoft can dominate? because everyone uses windows! well, think about how many people use pirated copies, then realize that none of those people will be able to do so because of what microsoft is doing. they're alienating part of the market that they sell their programs to!

RavenOfOdin
July 2nd, 2006, 01:19 AM
I called Microsoft support to see if there is a hidden option to say, "yep, I've got updates turned to manual… it's okay." The rep said, "No and why wouldn't you want to get the latest updates to Windows."

Service Pack 2 with its stifling of concurrent TCP connections comes to immediate mind, not to mention that updates may automatically reinstall the Alexa browser key.

He told me that "in the fall, having the latest WGA will become mandatory and if its not installed, Windows will give a 30 day warning and when the 30 days is up and WGA isn't installed, Windows will stop working, so you might as well install WGA now." [emphasis added]

Just. . .Nice.</sarcasm>

Microsoft is really f-ed up. The last straw for me was when my harddrive crashed one day. I called microsoft because it wouldnt accept the key after I installed. So the lady at MS said that my Copy of Wintendo XP had been activated too many times, and that I would have to buy another key. I told her that I had 3 HD failures in the last year ( maxtor :mad: ) and that now I got a Seagate so I excpect it to last a long time and to please give me another key.

This is a case in point for "fair use" and "doctrine of first sale."

She said no still! This went back and forth, spoke to the MGR, and he said no. So I told them to have fun working for skynet

Ha!

DR_K13
July 2nd, 2006, 02:36 AM
Ha!

just wait till the machines turn on us

:scared:

lolz

G Morgan
July 2nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
just wait till the machines turn on us

:scared:

lolz

It's not the machines its the people that control them you should worry about. You own your linux OS and that should be enough for most intelligent people.