PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compaq Presario V4000 Wireless Connection

Wheeladrew
October 2nd, 2012, 03:58 AM
Hello, my Compaq Presario V4000 will not connect to the Internet on Ubuntu. I know that it is a firmware problem and not a hardware one, as it works fine on my second, smaller partition of Windows XP. I've looked through a figurative TON of other threads on the issue, and none have fixed my problem.
When I click on the connection icon at the top-right of my interface (I am using Ubuntu 12.04 stock-standard, vanilla Unity), it says that the wireless connection has been disabled via a hardware switch. . .which simply isn't true. I'm positive that this is a driver/firmware issue, I just don't know how to fix it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Long story short:
Compaq Presario V4000
Ubuntu 12.04, Unity
Bad Wireless Driver

critin
October 2nd, 2012, 05:18 AM
Boot the machine with the live os, the cd/flash that you installed with and see if the internet connects with it that way. Choose TRY when it boots. Check sound and whatever else you can. Also, take a look at Additional Drivers which is in System settings. See if it has recommendations. (Cog on top right corner of screen, next to user name.)

Wheeladrew
October 2nd, 2012, 05:38 AM
I've tried that. Everything works but the wireless, which, despite having the computer connected via ethernet during the Additional Driver check, comes up with nothing.

Hadaka
October 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hi, please post the output of..

lspci -nnk | grep 0280

thanks.

Wheeladrew
October 4th, 2012, 05:05 AM
lspci -nnk | grep 0280
outputs

06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6200 [8086:422c] (rev 35)

Wheeladrew
October 5th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I got it sorted.
rfkill list all
and then unblocked the one that was softblocked
rfkill unblock 0