PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] An old computer

ahmed742163
September 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Hello,
I tried installing ubuntu on my pentium 3 700MHZ, 256 MB RAM, but it took hours during the installing process, I used the windows installer to install it on the F partition
I think ubuntu won't work for my PC because its an old one
Is there any lighter versions than the last one?

mips
September 29th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hello,
I tried installing ubuntu on my pentium 3 700MHZ, 256 MB RAM, but it took hours during the installing process, I used the windows installer to install it on the F partition
I think ubuntu won't work for my PC because its an old one
Is there any lighter versions than the last one?

That machine is way to old. Try Lubuntu as it's the lightest version of Ubuntu out using LXDE desktop.

DisappearingOak
September 29th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Maybe try Puppy linux

ahmed742163
September 29th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the replay
I will try it or LInux puppy

black veils
September 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM
bodhi linux is lighter than lubuntu, and you will want to use the midori web browser in bodhi, as it is light and has option to view websites in iPhone mode. don't tweak extensions etc though as some settings break the web browser, you can have a quick switcher for modes if needed.

you should change your swappiness value for the system for better performance.

these adjustments can make it bearable to use a system on 256ram, or you could use even lighter systems like puppy.

ahmed742163
September 30th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Yesterday I installed puppy Linux but it didn't satisfy me
when I reboot the programs I installed disappear and it installed in the same partition of windows and I think it have some problems with Arabic language
Also it isn't that fast

Sealbhach
September 30th, 2012, 09:39 AM
There aren't many LInux distros that will run well on less than 512MB of RAM these days.

You could try Crunchbang (http://crunchbanglinux.org/) - according to people (http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/13695/will-it-work/) on their forums, it can just about run with 256MB.

Better still, RAM is really cheap to buy these days, so if you can't get a new computer, get 512 MB or 1GB of RAM.

mips
September 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Better still, RAM is really cheap to buy these days, so if you can't get a new computer, get 512 MB or 1GB of RAM.

Yeah I would also try and find some ram, would make a huge difference. Try looking for second hand/used ram as it could be much cheaper.

NikTh
September 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
In such old and weak PC , I would try either Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install with LXDE basic environment ,
or Arch Linux with LXDE.

Alexcelbun
September 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM
don't buy yet
i have an older computer(600mhz,128RAM) and ConnochaetOS Its working perfectly plus it has an incredible design.

joedjokic
September 30th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I recommend arch linux.. I've installed ArchBang on a 400-ish MHz 128MB ram machine and it worked fine, only youtube video was a problem (picture was freezing all the time)... if you upgrade ram you may try XUbuntu it is a fantastic...

mips
September 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
don't buy yet
i have an older computer(600mhz,128RAM) and ConnochaetOS Its working perfectly plus it has an incredible design.

This is also Arch and looks really cool. Was actually looking at it the other day. It should be lighter than arch as well as it uses the libre-kernel stipped of all proprietary stuff. Might be worth a bash.

Either way, more ram would not hurt, he'll only benefit with more ram.

newb85
September 30th, 2012, 01:37 PM
In such old and weak PC , I would try either Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install with LXDE basic environment ,
or Arch Linux with LXDE.

Really? I guess I was under the impression that Arch was not something to be recommended to absolute beginners. Perhaps I should try installing it on a VM to find out how difficult it really is...

NikTh
September 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I recommend arch linux.. I've installed ArchBang on a 400-ish MHz 128MB ram machine and it worked fine, only youtube video was a problem (picture was freezing all the time)... if you upgrade ram you may try XUbuntu it is a fantastic...

Yes , for a newbie in Arch , I recommend Archbang or , Manjaro Linux (arch-based).

Very light-weight and easiest to install.

But lets don't run away from Ubutnu. A minimal installation of 12.04 and LXDE (or even openbox without LXDE) it will fit good on such old PC, I hope.

AgentZ86
September 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
check distro watch for light versions of linux for old computers

fooman
September 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM
That machine is way to old. Try Lubuntu as it's the lightest version of Ubuntu out using LXDE desktop.

+1 for lubuntu. very light and easy for beginners to use.

Rex Bouwense
September 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
+1 for lubuntu. very light and easy for beginners to use.
+1. I have been using Lubuntu for a while and am very satisfied. Of course it does not come with all of the eye candy that Ubuntu has but for an old computer it is great.

snowpine
September 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Yesterday I installed puppy Linux but it didn't satisfy me
when I reboot the programs I installed disappear and it installed in the same partition of windows and I think it have some problems with Arabic language
Also it isn't that fast

Your computer isn't that fast, it's not Puppy's fault, try upgrading your hardware.

Here are the minimum recommended specs to run Ubuntu, you should be able to find a compatible system on Craigslist for not much money at all: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements/

Javelin Dan
September 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Hi ahmed,

I have exact experience in what you are trying to do. I have an old Dell Inspiron laptop that has a Pentium III processor and came with 256 MB of Ram. For a long time, Puppy Linux was about the only thing I could get to run on it. I got used to it, but Puppy is different and not as intuitive as Ubuntu. I tried Lubuntu and it booted, but I could never get the graphics to agree with my display and had an unusable desktop.

I did a little research and found two good options - WattOS and Zorin. WattOS is a drastically cut down version of Ubuntu, and Zorin is a cut down version of Lubuntu. I had both successfully installed on this machine. In both cases, I had to boot into "safe graphics mode" to get a usable desktop. I tried WattOS R-5 (based on Ubuntu 11.10 - I think!), and Zorin 6 (based on Lubuntu 11.04 - I think!). They both worked well, but I believe WattOS is a little faster on this machine.

I have since installed WattOS R-6 on an old "emachines" low-spec box for my brother, and it also works well, though just a tick slower, as I've seen in every switch from version 11.whatever to 12.04. The advantage to this however is that you will enjoy the same 5-years long term support with WattOS R-6 as you will with Ubuntu 12.04. I will eventually try this on my old Dell to see how much it slows down with the newer version.

I have recently upgraded to 512 MB Ram and I have to agree with the suggestions of others, upgrade your RAM if at all possible - it's well worth it! Hope all this helps you.

houseworkshy
September 30th, 2012, 11:43 PM
For low spec machines slitaz is really good, very fast and well supported. A basic but good enough GUI. Really tiny both on the drive and in the RAM. An absolute masterpiece of small. It can also be run live so you can test it out. http://www.slitaz.org

black veils
October 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
i have been looking into slitaz, and i have to agree it is the fastest, and nicely done.

you create a bootable usb/cd, possibly by a method they specify, or the usual unetbootin. then create a partition in preparation for the installation process (boot gparted live if gparted doesnt work in slitaz live). now you can go to the slitaz panel application to install (or create a bootable live system).

i want an old computer now just to setup this system.

EDIT:
i tried some sytems and i think Antix is the nicest and fullest one! the install image has a fluxbox option in boot menu, choose that. its based on debian, so installing apps will be familiar, though it would seem you have to use a little gui to manually add new apps to the menu, and refresh menu to show new item.