PDA

View Full Version : [POLL] How do you use the launcher?

x-shaney-x
September 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Just wondering how users prefer to use the unity launcher?
I have never really got along with it since dodge went.

I hate that top left corner when windows are maximized, it is soo ugly and I can't stop looking at it.

I find autohide fiddly and unreliable (sometimes it appears straight away, other times I have to wiggle the mouse pointer on the edge of the screen).

Just always seems the launcher is never there when I want it or always there when I don't need it.

I have been using the unity revamped PPA to bring dodge back but who knows how long it will remain compatible so I need to try to get used one thing or another.

mikewhatever
September 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Only Unity2d works on my hardware, so I've resized the launcher to something like 30px (the default is probably 70), and have it on more or less permanently.

hakermania
September 27th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Always show. I want with a glance to know what windows are open on the current workspace.

deadflowr
September 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I prefer it to always show, but if I run it on a tiny screen, then I set it to hide. I liked the intellihide of ole, but am now used to always show.

rai4shu2
September 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have been using the unity revamped PPA to bring dodge back but who knows how long it will remain compatible so I need to try to get used one thing or another.

If you want a DE that molds itself to your habits, there's always Xfce/KDE/LXDE, etc.:D

Frogs Hair
September 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Always show or auto hide depending on what I'm doing.

x-shaney-x
September 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM
If you want a DE that molds itself to your habits, there's always Xfce/KDE/LXDE, etc.:D

I don't normally have any habits as such and I prefer to adapt to the OS/DE I'm using rather than try to make IT suit me.
It's just that stupid top left corner.
I have never hated anything in an OS so much!! It's weird.
Otherwise I would be happy to just use always show and be done with it.

Sableyes
September 27th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Always show fer me. Like the look of it :)

deadflowr
September 28th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I find autohide fiddly and unreliable (sometimes it appears straight away, other times I have to wiggle the mouse pointer on the edge of the screen).

Just always seems the launcher is never there when I want it or always there when I don't need it.

I agree with that. It seems the hide option likes to be hair-trigger happy when you don't want it to be, and you need to tie your mouse to a mack truck when you do need it.

tjeremiah
September 28th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Dodge (via hack or PPA). When I get a widescreen soon, it will be always show because I prefer it.

spier
September 28th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Selected the 'Other' option, even it is always visible.

I'd like to hide it, but, even with the highest sensibility, I have to almost crash the pointer against the wall to get it popped up.
Annoying ...

Myki
September 28th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I always show it. Personally, I dig how it looks.

Especially with a cool icon theme. ^_^

wojox
September 28th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Always show because I prefer it.

tjeremiah
September 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I always show it. Personally, I dig how it looks.

Especially with a cool icon theme. ^_^

suggest a cool icon theme. Just you, dont want to totally derail the thread.

PaulInBHC
September 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Always show because I like it. Interestingly I had trouble with the font in FF that got better when I left the launcher on and FF narrowed that much. I also couldn't find a happy solution to the touchy autohide or top left corner setting.

I have a 1920x1080 that I run at 1440x900

Myki
September 28th, 2012, 03:50 AM
suggest a cool icon theme. Just you, dont want to totally derail the thread.

Have a look (http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/icons/os/nix/) = click ^_^

I'm personally using nitrux for my app icons, and various others for folders stuff.

edit: I posted a screen shot here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12263875&postcount=280).

cariboo
September 28th, 2012, 03:56 AM
I've set the icons to their smallest size (32px) and auto-hide.

Primefalcon
September 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Only Unity2d works on my hardware, so I've resized the launcher to something like 30px (the default is probably 70), and have it on more or less permanently.
always on, I used to install ccsm just so I could have it always show even in 11.04 where it was set to /hide/dodge/whatever, though i size it small so I can have both more icons on there and so it takes up less space

GreatDanton
September 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Auto-hide with top left corner enabled.

ratcheer
September 28th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I seem to be in a distinct minority. I always show it because it's default. I used to mess with my desktops, but it usually came back to bite me later. So now I take whatever desktop gadgets the devs give me.

I have gotten used to the Unity launcher and it no longer bothers me.

Tim

Dragonbite
September 28th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Just wondering how users prefer to use the unity launcher?
I have never really got along with it since dodge went.

I hate that top left corner when windows are maximized, it is soo ugly and I can't stop looking at it.

I didn't like the dodge feature before because it was ... "dodgy" :lolflag:

I did want it to autohide because I don't have a lot of screen real estate to loose (14" at 1024x768 max).

So I was happy to find in 12.04 the ability to set the sensitivity for the launcher as well as the size of the icons. I made the icons almost as small as they could go, and have been tweaking with the sensitivity to bring the launcher up.

I try not to use the Dash because it takes 1-2 seconds to come up each time, and I don't have a Super key on my laptop's keyboard to bring it up without throwing my mouse cursor against the left edge.

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I like it always showing.

fyfe54
October 12th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Space is limited, so it's autohide.

DogMatix
October 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Autohide with small icon size. I just wish launcher reveal worked a little more slicky i.e. without the double mouse bump on the edge of the screen.