PDA

View Full Version : WGA Doomsday Preparedness?

hizaguchi
June 29th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Noticed on Slashdot there's an article about how the Microsoft "Windows Genuine Advantage" application is going to start disabling computers this fall. Now, I can't speak for everybody else here, but I know that most of my family has their tech support done by shady repair guys and I fully expect their computers, which they think are legal, to become toasters.

Are you ready to make some Gnu/Linux converts? If so, will it be Ubuntu that you install on their computers? Do you think it will be ready for the guaranteed criticism that will come from disgruntled non-technical users who just had their systems nuked? Or is Suse/Fedora/Mandriva/something else a better choice due to the availability of more graphical tools?

linbetwin
June 29th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Noticed on Slashdot there's an article about how the Microsoft "Windows Genuine Advantage" application is going to start disabling computers this fall. Now, I can't speak for everybody else here, but I know that most of my family has their tech support done by shady repair guys and I fully expect their computers, which they think are legal, to become toasters.

Are you ready to make some Gnu/Linux converts? If so, will it be Ubuntu that you install on their computers? Do you think it will be ready for the guaranteed criticism that will come from disgruntled non-technical users who just had their systems nuked? Or is Suse/Fedora/Mandriva/something else a better choice due to the availability of more graphical tools?

They won't shut down computers with illegal copies of Windows, but computers without the Windows Genuine... Nagification installed.

NeoChaosX
June 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM
However, as pointed out in the Slashdot article's comments, there's no verifiable source on this story - the article linked goes to a blog, which links to another blog that claims some OneCare support person told him this. For all we know, the OneCare drone just told him this to get him to install WGA.

Until Microsoft (and not just one of it's tech support monkeys) tell us that's what they're doing, I seriously doubt this is ture.

bruce89
June 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM
This would backfire a huge amount in China.

imagine
June 29th, 2006, 10:01 PM
This is a hoax although it might happen, just not this year.

Besides that I can't see any problems. Everyone gets what he pays for. I mean all those people who like to have operating system which can be disabled from remote locations also need to be satisfied.