PDA

View Full Version : RPi idea: custom DVD recorder

Bungo Pony
September 20th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I just checked into the whole Raspberry Pi project. Absolutely astounding piece of hardware! I think I may order myself one for Christmas.

I've been thinking about replacing the DVD recorder in the living room with a computer. The trouble I have is that computers are generally too bulky. The ones that are on the slim side are either too old and underpowered, or I can't stick the hardware I need into them as the whole thing is very proprietary.

The RPi solves one thing for me: A/V output connections. Connecting it to a USB DVD burner would be a piece of cake. The only thing I'd need is a USB TV Tuner card that is linux compatible (and would likely cost more than the Pi itself :S )

I did a little bit of reading on doing this (link here (http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-September/339197.html)) and although it's reportedly a bit slow, it seems like it could be a reality.

I'd end up gutting an old DVD player and sticking all necessary hardware into the box.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Artemis3
September 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM
I don't see the point of using optical media. Is this a pvr of sorts?
I got my digital usb tv tuner for 15$ :) Not sure if the pi can handle "FullHD" video...