PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Creating personal certificate authority?

cipherboy_loc
September 20th, 2012, 03:36 AM
First of all, it has been a while since I last posted here, so feel free to move this to wherever you think it will get the most attention. That said.

I was thinking the other day of setting up a HTTPS server for a personal website of mine. I have done this multiple times, so it would be fairly easy to do. However, I have the problem of certificates. I do not want to invest in getting a new signed and trusted certificate every single time I want to create a new HTTPS server (more frequently than one would think as I cycle through projects often enough), so I create my own, self-signed certificate every time. However, when I first go to the website, I of course face certificate errors, because it is self signed. My question is thus: would it be possible to create a personal certificate authority, add the certificates to my browsers, and then sign my own personal certificates with those keys, such that, when I create a new HTTPS server config, I would not have to deal with the self signed certificate errors. Is this doable, or would it be fairly impractical and not worth the time?

Thanks,
Cipherboy

kennethconn
September 20th, 2012, 05:18 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/certificates-and-security.html

Fine for test purposes or in-house, but not recommended for most business cases.

cipherboy_loc
September 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Okay, thanks.

Marking as solved,
Cipherboy