PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Shock & Awe

chestnut1969
June 29th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Hi All

Just thought I'd post my latest experiences with Windows Vista Beta 2 64 bit.

Well, the DVD boots. After 2 (?!?) years of MS development, I am greeted with a turquoise/green screen that does nothing. Ah, sorry, the mouse cursor works.

Its just simply amazing. Its beauty must be its simplicity.

I suppose I'd better do the right thing and report the bug, and retreat to the much rather sane world of Ubuntu 64bit.

Nice one
:)

tsb
June 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Hi All

Well, the DVD boots. After 2 (?!?) years of MS development, I am greeted with a turquoise/green screen that does nothing. Ah, sorry, the mouse cursor works.

I suppose I'd better do the right thing and report the bug, and retreat to the much rather sane world of Ubuntu 64bit.

Nice one

No surprise. A lot of your hardware will not work with the 64bit edition now. You should use the 32bit version. If I'm not mistaken, the 64bit version will require signed 64bit drivers. There aren't many now, so I suggest trying the 32bit version before jumping to harsh conclusions. Remember we are still almost a year from launch as well. ;-)

givré
June 29th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Remember we are still almost a year from launch as well. ;-)
Why we are, do you work for microsoft? As i know, only microsoft guy can say we are, because there is now community behind.

chestnut1969
June 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Well, after downgrading graphics card, & using 32bit version, I've had a bit more success..

skirkpatrick
June 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Maybe MS is also planning on doing Apple one better and go with a 0-button mouse to go with their simpler desktop? :p

easyease
June 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Hi All

Nice one
sounds like its about as much use as a zx81 in this day and age........

KingBahamut
June 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I think the most hilarious bit about Vista is the UAC aspect. It almost has a gksudo kinda feel to it. Actually it very much feels like that all together.

sudo in Vista....hehe....that is funny.

bruce89
June 29th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I think the most hilarious bit about Vista is the UAC aspect. It almost has a gksudo kinda feel to it. Actually it very much feels like that all together.
Except it doesn't ask for a password, but a neverending load of accept buttons.
Couldn't somebody write a program to "click" all these buttons, as it doesn't require a password?

prattrs
June 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Supposedly the confirmation clicks take place in the same secure desktop environment that presents the cntl-alt-del logon prompt. It's supposedly proven to be quite secure. I might actually be safer than a regular window asking for a password.

K.Mandla
June 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Sounds something like my experience (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=198991) with Vista.

I guess I had a little more luck, though. At least I had buttons I could push. :)

G Morgan
June 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Supposedly the confirmation clicks take place in the same secure desktop environment that presents the cntl-alt-del logon prompt. It's supposedly proven to be quite secure. I might actually be safer than a regular window asking for a password.

I'm sorry but I don't get the idea behind UAP. If endlessly clicking accept can allow you to install whatever you want then how does that stop people from installing malware. Unless it says no chance you must be root or have the root password to install this then what use is it. It seems like MS are trying to annoy users out of installing software rather than actually stopping them from installing software.

KingBahamut
June 29th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Sounds more like at "Are you sure you want to do this?" followed by a "Are you really sure you want to do this?" followed by a "Ok, Im going to do this, are you ok with it?" then a "Ok, this is your last chance to change your mind, are you sure you want me to do this?" then a "OK, im really going to do it this time, I swear." hehe.

bruce89
June 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I bet that installing MS "approved" software will be done with one click.

I saw that each time you start a non-approved program, it will confirm whether you want to open it or not.

G Morgan
June 29th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Fortunately my bootloader will ask me each time if I really want to run Windows or not.

Stromham
June 29th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Fortunately my bootloader will ask me each time if I really want to run Windows or not.

lol we still have the power!!!! :wink:

bruce89
June 29th, 2006, 08:27 PM
lol we still have the power!!!! :wink:
I heard that Vista will break this, mabye it was a rumour. I wouldn't be suprised though.

chestnut1969
June 29th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Well, finally got 32bit version with ATI card to run...

If you can call it run. Talk about resource hog. I feel sorry for all the users in PC land with what I would consider a normal spec pc.

I know its beta, but it really does run like a dog. Its just overkill. Whats the point in all the gloss if it only runs on the cutting edge hardware. Have the consumers needs really been addressed? Put Office 2007 into the mix, and its just a joke.

Kill the graphic gloss with by changing back to windows classic view, and you just as well go back to XP (which has in my opinion has a quite well balanced useability/graphical experience)

Give me xgl/compiz anyday

GuitarHero
June 29th, 2006, 10:43 PM
The thing that sucks is people will be drawn in by pretty aero affects not even thinking about how it actually runs.

carl13
June 30th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hi All

Nice one

I had the same experience but on my second attempt I realized that even though there was no appearent activity (e.g. hd light, hourglass, etc.), it would eventually resume the install process after what seemed like eternity. So my install finally worked but I rebooted after about 5 minutes and have not booted vista since.

chestnut1969
June 30th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I'll rest my case for now, and come back to this in another 6 months... hopefully the boys and girls in Redmond can sort it out by then.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home-office/microsoft-delays-release-of-office/2006/06/30/1151174371012.html

warp99
June 30th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Why we are, do you work for microsoft? As i know, only microsoft guy can say we are, because there is now community behind.

I know from past posts tsb lives in Taiwan, owns a Acer Ferrari 3200, and brags about speaking with AMD insiders:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=968300&postcount=8

Sounds like he works for M$ or a mfg. with close ties to the evil empire. :wink:

Must be pissed about the Taiwan government mandating Linux ready PCs:

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,39370618,00.htm