PDA

View Full Version : Built new pc. Use old psu?

WalmartSniperLX
September 14th, 2012, 06:22 AM
**Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

Hello! I've recently built a new budget mini ITX pc a couple months ago and I've decided to swap cases. With a recent video card and psu upgrade, there was too much heat in my super-slim case so I've ordered a new mini-itx case that uses standard ATX power supplies, as my current one does not.

Question is: How do you feel about me running my buddy's 3-4 year old Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU in the new build. I know it was a good psu in its day, but as far as age, would it still be a safe idea to put it in the new pc? For the last month or so, we just kept it in a spare PC, sitting in the garage.

I've thought about using my current SeaSonic 300W TFX12V psu, but it will have to just sit in the psu bay since it is too small.

mastablasta
September 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM
if you get it for free then why not?

i am used about 8 or 9 year old PSU for my wifes mashcine. we bought it back then thinking the PSU is causing the issue, but it turned out in the end that it was the motherboard...anyway i had it lying arround and since it was working i stuck it in. The only complaint i have is that it is a bit too loud.

sandyd
September 14th, 2012, 06:50 AM
moved to community cafe

mips
September 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
If it's a quality PSU like Antec then I would not worry to much.

ads2996
September 14th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I would reccomend using the old one. I have ancient computer PSUs in my house and they all work fine. If ur getting it for free then why spend money on a new one.

vexorian
September 14th, 2012, 11:02 PM
If it is still running well, it is a good brand and provides all the connectors and Watts you need, there is no reason not to.

mr-woof
September 14th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Me too, I'd use whatever old psu I had lying round. In my experience, when they finally stop working, they don't damage the pc, they just dont have any power going through them any more.

doorknob60
September 15th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Me too, I'd use whatever old psu I had lying round. In my experience, when they finally stop working, they don't damage the pc, they just dont have any power going through them any more.

Not in my experience. Once I've seen one completely kill the mobo and CPU (but it had been making awful noises for months so I got rid of it, then my cheap brother insisted on taking it temporarily. I told him not to, he learned his lesson). But, I know you'll know to get rid of it if it starts making loud annoying buzzing noises and stuff :P

IWantFroyo
September 15th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I'm using an old PSU right now. It's fine. Just plan ahead. If you plan to add a nice graphics card or something, make sure you'll have enough power.

slooksterpsv
September 15th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I used old PSU's all the time in new computers; generally it's the mobo that's shorted out but the PSU works just fine. That one sounds like a quality beast (if it works for more than 3 years, it's quality). I'd use it personally.

TBerbs
September 15th, 2012, 03:53 AM
If the PSU is working and can handle the load, why spend the money?
Easy to find a spare, spend money on something like RAM etc.