PDA

View Full Version : which operating system is best for pc

shyambansal
September 14th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Hi friends,

I wanna know, which operating system is best for pc?

prakaz25
September 14th, 2012, 06:12 AM
there is no option....:)ubuntu is the best os on pc or lap

2F4U
September 14th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Obviously, there is no "best" operating system. If there would, everybody would use the same OS. It depends on what you want to do.

fernandohleme
September 14th, 2012, 06:13 AM
It depends on a lot of things.
First: which is your pc?
Second: what do you want to do with it?

mips
September 14th, 2012, 07:24 AM
What are the specifications of your PC (processore, ram, hard drive size etc etc?

TenPlus1
September 14th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Let us know what type of Pc or Laptop you have and the specs (memory, cpu, graphics) and maybe a little about what you intend to use it for... Then we can recommend a suitable Os...

Gokutux
September 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hi friends,

I wanna know, which operating system is best for pc?

Linux for ever!!!:guitar::lolflag:

Primefalcon
September 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I am biased but since you are asking opinions.... Ubuntu on everything :D

Frogs Hair
September 14th, 2012, 02:00 PM
My Linux experience is with Ubuntu and Peppermint but here are some of the different desktop environments. http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce

nidzo732
September 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Why not ask the same question on Sevenforums, BSD forums and Apple forums? What answer would you expect on Ubuntuforums.org ?

black veils
September 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
such a vague question. but i guess for

- the most inbuilt options:
kde desktop (eg. linux mint 13 kde or kubuntu)
xfce desktop (eg. linux mint 13 xfce or xubuntu)
bodhi linux (because it has enlightenment desktop)

- fancy effects:
kde desktop (eg. linux mint 13 kde or kubuntu)

- minimalistic:
gnome shell desktop (install from software center)
ubuntu with launcher on auto-hide
xfce desktop (delete panels or set to auto-hide etc)
lxde desktop (delete panels or set to auto-hide etc) somewhat limited features, but those can be installed etc
bodhi linux (it has nearly no apps preinstalled)

- light on system resources:
xfce desktop (eg. linux mint 13 xfce or xubuntu)
lxde desktop (eg. lubuntu) somewhat limited features, but those can be installed etc
openbox desktop
fluxbox desktop

- simple and easy to use - in my opinion of course:
xfce desktop
gnome shell desktop
ubuntu

oldos2er
September 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Moved to Recurring.

Mark Phelps
September 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
There's no such thing as "best" -- at least, not in terms that are the same for lots of folks.

Any modern OS is going to provide much the same capabilities -- so that really is not the choice.

What you need to determine is:
1) What apps you are going to rely on daily to use the PC
2) What devices are connected to the PC -- and do any of the devices require special drivers
3) How much learning do you want to do to have a PC that will do lots of stuff for you.

For example, if you're "locked in" to using Internet Explorer for web browsing, and Outlook for email handling -- then MS Windows is the only way to go -- because Linux OSs don't handle either of those well.

But, if you are using Firefox or Chrome for web browsing, and are using web-based email services, or are willing to convert over to using Linux email tools -- then Linux is a perfectly good way to go.

And finally, if you just want to take it out of the box, plug it in, turn it on -- and be done with it, then a new Mac PC might be the best way to go.

Epodx64
September 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Well I think the best is Ubuntu,Linux Mint,Kubuntu,Debian,CentOS uhm... I think thats all Im using right now i'll update it when I change it around again. ;q

cbanakis
September 14th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Personally, I have always been a big fan of BIOS.

Just my opinion though. :)

cbanakis
September 14th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Really it all depends on you.

Every Linux distro I have tried seemed very stable.
(Great Community Support)
Software availability is still pretty stunted though.
But Wine helps with that. (Sometimes)

Windows 7 is also very stable compared to its predecessors.
(Great technical support from Microsoft)
And you have virtually unlimited software options.
But you'll have virus's spy ware, and less money in the bank.

OS X - I HATE it.
(Terrible Technical Support.)
In my opinion, its comparable to linux in the sense that it is stable, virus free, and has limited software availability.

But...
Its ridiculously expensive, because Apple's EULA requires you to buy a mac in order to use OS X.

Also, when there is a problem, you will rarely find a solution.
And those "Geniuses" are anything but.

The majority of the problems I face, result in them suggesting I avoid doing what causes the problem.

For example, every time I save a file to a network drive, OS X crashes.
Apple support suggested that I save the files to a local drive, then copy them to the network drive later. (WTF?)

I am forced to use OS X at work on occasion, though I personally bought my own computer and put Ubuntu on it, so at least when I am in my office, I don't need to deal with the BS.
(Thats right, I spent $850 of my own money, just so I do not have to use the Mac my company provided me with)

So, I use Ubuntu at work. (Sometimes OS X)

At home, I use Ubuntu on my desktop, and laptop.
I use windows server 2008 on my file server. (Did not know what I was doing in Ubuntu at the time I built the server, and if it aint broke...)

And I have 3 media center computers running windows 7, because I cannot find a viable linux alternative to windows media center.

So obviously, I prefer Ubuntu, and other linux distros.