PDA

View Full Version : All this Anger at Netflix What About Amazon?

mamamia88
September 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
You can buy and download singles on amazon mp3 but they seem to have completely dropped linux support for downloading complete albums. if you want to do so you have to download each track separate. Clamz command line interface works great but they won't even serve you up an amz file anymore it appears. Even with user agent switching on chrome for me. Also their instant video streaming doesn't seem to work for me anymore even though it's in flash. What the heck is going on? Amazon seems to be going backwards with their linux support. At least netflix has an exucse in that silver light seems to be a better option than flash but what is amazons excuse for taking away something that used to be there? My amazon prime account expired 2 days ago and I think i will be taking my online shopping elsewhere. Edit Yay I managed to get an amz file from cloud player by tricking firefox into thinking it was ie. Shouldn't have to do it though. I can download singles just fine in the browser why not just let me download a folder full of mp3s for albums? why bother with a stupid proprietary app for downloading music when the browser works fine?

nothingspecial
September 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM
The ubuntuone music store works fine for me although I tend to buy my music in vinyl where possible (which amazon does).

mamamia88
September 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
The ubuntuone music store works fine for me although I tend to buy my music in vinyl where possible (which amazon does).

what about other non ubuntu distros? sure amazon is great for singles but if i want the entire album i either have to order a cd and wait for shipping or fool my browser into thinking i'm running windows? doesn't seem right especially when singles work fine.

KiwiNZ
September 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Vinyl how quaint

forrestcupp
September 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Vinyl how quaint

Vinyl is where it's at if you're an audiophile.

thatguruguy
September 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Apparently, you can still buy albums as albums (which is cheaper than buying the songs one by one, if you want the entire album), but you have to download each song individually. Which may be inconvenient, but it's still better than Netflix, which blocks access to their content completely on Linux.

I don't get your point, really.

KiwiNZ
September 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Vinyl is where it's at if you're an audiophile.

Got to love all those clicks, crackles, hisses and pops :-)

KiwiNZ
September 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Apparently, you can still buy albums as albums (which is cheaper than buying the songs one by one, if you want the entire album), but you have to download each song individually. Which may be inconvenient, but it's still better than Netflix, which blocks access to their content completely on Linux.

I don't get your point, really.

We do not have Netflix down under, is Linux actively blocked or just not supported?

forrestcupp
September 13th, 2012, 09:59 PM

A fresh vinyl record is way better sound quality than a CD. If you can really take good care of them, it takes a long time before they degenerate.

MG&TL
September 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM

They make it interesting. Continuous perfect sound is somehow less satisfying.

KiwiNZ
September 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
They make it interesting. Continuous perfect sound is somehow less satisfying.

Like the cars of my youth, worn Ball joints and tie rods, warn brake disc's, dead batteries, dead Solenoids, Dead Coils and Condensers. Hmmmm was it satisfying, if it were not for my father owning Auto Repair shops I think I would have gone nuts.:P

MG&TL
September 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Like the cars of my youth, worn Ball joints and tie rods, warn brake disc's, dead batteries, dead Solenoids, Dead Coils and Condensers. Hmmmm was it satisfying, if it were not for my father owning Auto Repair shops I think I would have gone nuts.:P

I think I need a better sarcasm detector, this one's on the blink and won't tell me if he's serious or not. Probably doesn't help that I have no idea what most of that is. :lol:

PS Sorry OP, we hijacked your amazon thread into a discussion about vinyl and cars. Forgive us our sins.

KiwiNZ
September 13th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Yep sorry about the hijack, its been placed back on the Vinyl:p

MG&TL
September 13th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Yep sorry about the hijack, its been placed back on the Vinyl:p

This forum is turning out to be expensive, I've decided I really want a record player now.

evilsoup
September 13th, 2012, 11:11 PM
We do not have Netflix down under, is Linux actively blocked or just not supported?

They switched from flash to Silverlight for better DRM.

arsenic23
September 13th, 2012, 11:43 PM

Your turn table must SUCK. Not that I buy albums, I just have a lot that I have inherited. Other then those old 45s from my Grandfather's bar I don't hear any noise on my system, and those things are beat up and warped as hell.

Also I never knew you could download anything from Amazon. I never tried. I have bought stuff from them, but it was stuff I had already downloaded (sans payment), and I never saw any reason to download the copy I paid for when I already had one.

Carl.Spackler
September 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
We currently have Netflix because we can watch it on Android. I have tried the Amazon Instant Delivery video service with moderate success. Seems that there was a particularly large thread on their forum about this very subject. It seems that Ubuntu had dropped libhal and hal from the default install as it was deprecated and the drm based flash upgrade had relied on this. My Linux Mint 13 laptop had it installed for some reason (still a mystery to me). Some videos played fine and others would never every show the video position control slier at the bottom, let alone start the video.

I absolutely refuse to use windoze or mac os, so I will go without since I am not paying for a service that works at least most of the time.

doorknob60
September 14th, 2012, 12:34 AM
On Amazon MP3 I definitely still can get AMZ files (as of last week). You have to "activate" it somehow (with a link on their site that saves a cookie showing you have the downloader), but it works. Also you can use Banshee. Even more, if you have Amazon Prime Instant Video (similar to Netflix), all the video streaming from that works in Linux too (it's just Flash). I think Amazon is just fine in terms on Linux support. And even if you don't use the MP3 downloader, downloading them separately isn't too big of a deal...

Jakin
September 14th, 2012, 08:16 AM
This forum is turning out to be expensive, I've decided I really want a record player now.

I love the sound of vinyl. I prefur it over anything else, even digitizing it, before i would a CD version of an album. But vinyl itself is only half of it, gotta have a decent reciever/amp- and don't cheap'n out on the speakers. (Personally i like Cerwin Vega loudspeakers- bookshelf style, also i have two sets of baby Advents- quite nice...) I never understood the alure to single (full range?) driver plastic "speakers"......

I Think im gonna start using the Amazon mp3 store, all my buddies rave on about.. sure they have something i might need.

nothingspecial
September 14th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Nowadays most vinyl albums come with a digital download code inside the sleeve, so you get the best of both worlds (without all that messing about with ffmpeg or audacity).

jonathonblake
September 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Continuous perfect sound is somehow less satisfying.

That perfect sound being what a high quality vinyl disk presents.

Granted, going by the junk I hear on the radio, there are no virtues to listening to the vinyl, becuase the performers, lyrics, and arrangement are beyond the point of being fixed/repaired to even a moderately acceptable quality.

jonathon