PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] In case "Mouse Expires", How is Terminal invoked via Hot-Key in Kubuntu?

GregA
September 10th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Recently, had mouse failure ...... software related. What is the hot key combo in Kubuntu 12.04 to call the terminal window?

I know one way is via alt-F2, and then inputing "konsole" in the run window, but is there already a pre-set hot-key combo for invoking the terminal directly without intermediary app?

To me, there is a simple elegance & speed advantage to using hot-keys.

Thanks much.

Greg
Omaha
Lenovo H410
Intel GMA x4500

PaulW2U
September 10th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Recently, had mouse failure ...... software related. What is the hot key combo in Kubuntu 12.04 to call the terminal window?

I don't think there is one but as almost everything in KDE is configurable why not create your own shortcut?

Go to "Shortcuts & Gestures" in System Settings then "Custom Shortcuts". Under "Examples" is "Run Konsole". Put a check mark next to both items and define your shortcut on the "Trigger" tab. Click on Apply, OK etc and you're done!

drmrgd
September 11th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I'd also recommend having a look at Yakuake if you've not yet looked into it:

http://extragear.kde.org/apps/yakuake/

It's available in the repos and it's a really nice quick terminal that drops down when you hit the F12 key. It's really nice for quick terminal sessions, and even useful for bigger work, depending on what you want.

GregA
September 11th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Thanks -- I'm good with each recommendation.

Initially, the change options in System Settings>Shortcuts & Gestures was grayed out (by default) until I noticed the edit button. So now I can invoke the Konsole via ctrl+alt+t. I've also installed "yakuake" and will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Greg