PDA

View Full Version : Compile errors (...ld returned 1 exit status)

chrisinpants
September 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM
It seems I've messed up my compiler library and thus cannot compile anything. I end up with:

/usr/local/bin/ld: this linker was not configured to use sysroots
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

when trying. This may have happened when I configured an AVR tool chain but I'm not sure, something I need to take a little more time over next time, me being new to linux, and newer yet to compiling for source. Upon logging in, my default PATH is:

/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

I don't know where lightdm came from and I thought this was the problem and have tried to grep for entries with nothing coming back. I've removed it per session but this does not change anything when I try to compile, anything (e.g. hello.c). Errors from various source packages include recurring errors like:

configure:3498: gcc -V >&5
gcc: error: unrecognized option '-V'
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
configure:3509: $? = 4
configure:3498: gcc -qversion >&5
gcc: error: unrecognized option '-qversion'
gcc: fatal error: no input files

I've been scouring for a solution but don't really have the knowledge to work it out...I hope someone can help.

I have gcc, g++, and other libraries required to compile but it seems that there's a missing link...

#gcc -v:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1201818/

oldos2er
September 10th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Moved to Packaging and Compiling Programs.

chrisinpants
September 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Sorry for the mistake, and thanks for moving

chrisinpants
September 13th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I changed my post quite a bit after doing a bit of digging. Bump!

dodo3773
September 13th, 2012, 04:57 AM
How did you wind up with ld being located in /usr/local/bin? Is that something you put together or was that the default? The first thing that caught my eye when reading your post is this --> "This may have happened when I configured an AVR tool chain". Can you tell us or link us to how you did this? It may help for other people viewing this post.

chrisinpants
September 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM
The guide is below for reference but tbh, but I don't think that guide will indicate anything to do with my problem. That's just the last process of events I remember being able to compile successfuly. I remember mingw being a pain to configure, which if I remember rightly, was an offshoot of this process.

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/setup-unix.html

I've made tarballs of root every few days since installation if they're any use here.

dodo3773
September 13th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Do you have more than one ld installed? Is ld also at "/usr/bin/ld" or similar? If you export your $PATH to not include "/usr/local/bin" temporarily does your program compile? Just a shot in the dark but this is some stuff I would take a look at

chrisinpants
September 14th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have:

/usr/bin/avr-ld
/usr/bin/ld

/usr/bin/ld.bfd
/usr/bin/ld.gold
/usr/bin/ldd

/usr/local/bin/ld
/usr/local/bin/ld.bfd

Things remain the same when excluding /usr/local/bin

my ldconfig:

#!/bin/sh

if test $# = 0 \
&& test x"$LDCONFIG_NOTRIGGER" = x \
&& test x"$DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE" != x \
&& dpkg-trigger --check-supported 2>/dev/null \
&& dpkg --compare-versions "$DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION" ge '1.14.5ubuntu10~~'
then
if dpkg-trigger --no-await ldconfig; then
if test x"$LDCONFIG_TRIGGER_DEBUG" != x; then
echo "ldconfig: wrapper deferring update (trigger activated)"
fi
exit 0
fi
fi

exec /sbin/ldconfig.real "$@"

dodo3773
September 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Other than rebuilding everything I do not know. Wish I could help more but this is over my head for now

chrisinpants
September 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Ah no worries man, thanks for trying anyway. I'm just glad I learned how to automate tar, back to the clock :)

And I think the next trick would be keeping the toolchains seperated somehow. I remember talk of such things, somewhere out there. Perhaps logging all my terminal input would be an idea too, for future fumble.