PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that rice is more filling than meat/viands/"ulam"?

palawanbeach
September 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hello,

In countries like the Philippines, people eat their "ulam (http://tagaloglang.com/Tagalog-English-Dictionary/English-Translation-of-Tagalog-Word/ulam.html)" with rice. When they have chicken, there's rice. When there's vegetable stew, there's rice. When there's steak, there's some rice. When there's fish, yep, you guessed it, there's rice.

People close to me tell me that the North American way of eating meals/viands/meats/protein without rice or with little rice is a way to get hungry quickly.

Are these people right?

I'm no nutritionist, and I'm not sure whether counting calories is all there is to it. My initial thought is that what matters is the number of calories, and not so much rice vs viands/side_dish/meats.

I'd love to hear from nutritionists/dieticians who can speak authoritatively on this matter.

Mikeb85
September 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Hello,

In countries like the Philippines, people eat their "ulam (http://tagaloglang.com/Tagalog-English-Dictionary/English-Translation-of-Tagalog-Word/ulam.html)" with rice. When they have chicken, there's rice. When there's vegetable stew, there's rice. When there's steak, there's some rice. When there's fish, yep, you guessed it, there's rice.

People close to me tell me that the North American way of eating meals/viands/meats/protein without rice or with little rice is a way to get hungry quickly.

Are these people right?

I'm no nutritionist, and I'm not sure whether counting calories is all there is to it. My initial thought is that what matters is the number of calories, and not so much rice vs viands/side_dish/meats.

I'd love to hear from nutritionists/dieticians who can speak authoritatively on this matter.

Eating plenty of rice with your meals is much healthier than eating mostly meat.

Meat contains lots of fats which, while not too bad in small quantities, quickly become unhealthy in American-sized quantities... While rice might be considered 'filler' by some, it contains alot of healthy carbohydrates, which is what is responsible for giving you sustained energy throughout the day.

Best diet = plenty of rice, grain or potatos, lots of veggies, and a small-ish (3-4 oz) bit of meat or fish (fish is better).

There's alot to be said for vegetarian diets too, but those are a bit more tricky.

About counting calories - it's not just about calories (otherwise a beer-only diet might be do-able), but about giving yourself the right kinds of nutrition throughout the day. You need a proper amount of carbohydrates, fats and protein throughout the day, too much of one of those regularly will cause you problems.

I have Filipino friends, have eaten plenty of Filipino food, and it really is a very healthy cuisine...

forrestcupp
September 10th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that rice is a cheap, abundant way to get filled up without filling up on high calorie things. The rice fills you up and takes the place of other things you could be eating that have a lot more calories.

If you just go with the low calories, and don't use any kind of filler, you're going to be hungry, and end up snacking on things that are probably going to be higher in calories. And by "filler", I don't mean that it doesn't have any nutritional value.

I like rice a lot, if it's done right.

Grenage
September 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
<-- Veggie

Calories are ok as an indicator; I probably average 3500+ calories a day, my intake is high on carbs but it's all wholesome stuff. Everyone is different.

Generally foods such as rice are excellent bases for a meal, making up the bulk of the fuel. While there have been studies that showed meat made you feel fuller for longer, it would be a pretty terrible way to fill yourself up.

forrestcupp
September 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
While there have been studies that showed meat made you feel fuller for longer, it would be a pretty terrible way to fill yourself up.

I kind of wonder about that. The times that I've eaten mostly meat and no bread or grain of any type, it seems like I've gotten hungry quicker.

Linuxratty
September 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The times that I've eaten mostly meat and no bread or grain of any type, it seems like I've gotten hungry quicker.

Not me. Rice is pure starchy carbs,which causes you insulin to shoot up like a rocket..That's why when you eat Chinese food your hungry 2 hours later.
I've dropped grains and fruit from my diet,but that's another story for another day.

lisati
September 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I don't mind rice from time to time, but normally only use it when I'm feeling too lazy to peel potatoes when on cooking duties.

d3v1150m471c
September 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
the only way to know for sure would be to mix them all together in a jar and see which one sinks to the bottom. it may take a few days to get the results back but patience is the key to careful testing.

sffvba[e0rt
September 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM

So you decide to ask this on a Linux forum because...?

d3v1150m471c
September 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
So you decide to ask this on a Linux forum because...?

Rice Monster?

oldsoundguy
September 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Just remember, Uncle Ben's is NOT rice, and sad to say, that is what most Americans think of when you mention rice! Get the real stuff .. takes longer to cook BUT, is better for you tastes a whole hell of a lot better!! (and is better for your nutrition!)
Cook it in low salt broth of some sort for added flavor!

OrangeCrate
September 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Brown rice is particularily filling, white rice is just sugar on a stick.

Replacing white rice in your diet with brown rice may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to a new study...

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better

forrestcupp
September 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM
That's why when you eat Chinese food your hungry 2 hours later.And I thought it was the MSG. :)

Just remember, Uncle Ben's is NOT rice, and sad to say, that is what most Americans think of when you mention rice!Uncle Ben's is a lot closer to being real rice than Rice-a-Roni. ;)

Brown rice is particularily filling, white rice is just sugar on a stick.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-betterWhen I cook rice, it's usually going to be brown rice. It's a little higher in fiber.

BigCityCat
September 10th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I only eat Jasmin enriched rice from Thailand. It's really good. The kind you can eat plain with chopsticks.