PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Want to move to Ubuntu but need clarification.

evilishan
September 8th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Firstly hello there and thanks for taking your time to look at my thread.

I've been playing around with Xubuntu on my netbook for a year and a bit now. I love the variety, the fact I can do alot more with my system than other OS'es and I think it's time I upgraded my main computer which is currently Windows XP Service pack 3. I want to use it to do stuff which I need for my Bachelor.

Unfortunatly I am kinda confused as to how I am going to transfer everything over. I use:

POST GRE SQL
LINGO (Optimizaton software from LINDO systems)
Microsoft Office Standard
Mathematica 8 (I already have a Linux license for this)

So I was wondering...
Is it possible to use the XP version of LINGO if I move to linux or do I need to buy a new license? (would kinda suck cause it's expensive :S)

Also I use an ACER Aspire 5315 which has previously had fan problems UNTIL I installed 'Acer Epower Management', it's bloatware but it did the job. Is there an alternative to this for linux?

Ishan

offgridguy
September 8th, 2012, 04:42 AM
You can try using wine to run windows applications, but my experience with it proved to be more
frustration than anything . Libre office has replaced all my need for windows office, check it out.
I am not familiar enough with your other apps. to give an answer.
I'm sure someone else is.

Fan problems seem inherent in the older acers

oldfred
September 8th, 2012, 04:59 AM
As much as I like & promote Linux, your best bet may be to just dual boot. I had one application that I had in XP and have said for the last 5 years I was going to stop using XP. Finally, this year I converted to a Linux application that is not quite as good, but is good enough for me.

There are several optimization programs in Ubuntu's repository that you can download and experiment with. I doubt that they do everything your are currently doing, but may offer most now & later be enough. Often it is more of a learning curve issue.

evilishan
September 8th, 2012, 03:21 PM
W.I.N.E feels like a coin-flip: LINGO runs fine but import/export to other applications is hell. Ms excel is fine for data entry but stuffs up on solver and is horrible with macros.

Alright fred I guess you're right.... I guess I did kinda go off on a whim. Extended support for Windows still has till 2014, so I may as well just stay. Sadly, the programming language for LINGO is an ongoing part of my current Bachelors course.

But this little move-to-linux project is definitely going to be a part of the plan for my weekends free at the end of this year after my semester exams. I'll have enough money for a new computer and a linux license to LINGO maybe then too!

Cheers,
Ishan

evilishan
September 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Hey guys! I've finally done it, everything works as planned now.

The Acer fan fix is located here!
http://askubuntu.com/questions/149992/fan-on-acer-5315-not-working

I am running Xubuntu without a hitch on my main computer and can run all programs fine. LINGO (from LINDO systems) can be run fine using the WINE interface. All the other programs can be run fine, and I've decided to use a combination of Google Docs/LibreOffice for my office needs.

One thing still needs clarification tho:
Import/export from LINGO to LibreOffice Calc has not been tested but I am hopeful.

Woot woot no more XP :P
Also apologies, I do not see an edit post function so I am putting in a new one.

mips
September 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Just another though, seeing as you already have a XP license you could always install XP in virtualbox for when you really have to use it. virtualbox also offers seamless desktop integration so it does not even look like you are running XP.

evilishan
September 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Virtualisation is an option, tho I do not tend to run things virtually unless I have 4GB memory/processor more than 2Ghz. I know it might sound weird but I've been desperately trying to get rid of any sort of reliance on Windows at all, especially as Windows 8 comes out and people are slowly pressured to upgrade. Coming entirely in Xubuntu means I get atleast another 3 years on the same hardware. :P