PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] configure says missing dependency that I seem to have?

Jmob
September 7th, 2012, 06:14 PM
So, I'm trying to compile the computer side of a tethering app for android. When I run configure, I get this

Checking for program g++ or c++ : /usr/bin/g++
Checking for program cpp : /usr/bin/cpp
Checking for program ar : /usr/bin/ar
Checking for program ranlib : /usr/bin/ranlib
Checking for g++ : ok
Checking for program gcc or cc : /usr/bin/gcc
Checking for gcc : ok
Checking for library dl : yes
Checking for openssl : not found
Checking for function SSL_library_init : not found
Checking for header openssl/crypto.h : not found
/home/jmobrien/Downloads/Tether/node/wscript:374: error: Could not autodetect OpenSSL support. Make sure OpenSSL development packages are installed. Use configure --without-ssl to disable this message.
Synaptic says I have openssl installed. What could be causing this?

jerome1232
September 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM
just clarification, you have openssl-dev? Probably libopenssl-dev actually.

When you are compiling from source, usually you need the -dev versions of packages (means development)

I apologize if you were already aware of this.

Jmob
September 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Don't let my use of Synaptic fool you. There's a reason I'm posting this in the AB subforum--I'm quite new to compiling, but I needed this particular application.

Hmm, but synaptic has no packages with either particular name (openssl-dev, or libopenssl-dev). There is libssl-dev, though. Is that what I need?

While I'm at it, are the other two "not found"s related like they seem to be, or do I need to get something additional for them as well?

Edit: yes, that seems to have been it. Thanks for the help!

One other question. What's best practices for locating a self-compiled application? /usr/local? And one needs root to copy there, right?

jerome1232
September 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Don't let my use of Synaptic fool you. There's a reason I'm posting this in the AB subforum--I'm quite new to compiling, but I needed this particular application.

Hmm, but synaptic has no packages with either particular name (openssl-dev, or libopenssl-dev). There is libssl-dev, though. Is that what I need?

While I'm at it, are the other two "not found"s related like they seem to be, or do I need to get something additional for them as well?

My guess is libssl-dev is the one. I would just install it and try. Those other not founds are related to openssl and I assume installing the library will take care of those as well.

I checked the description of libssl-dev, and I'm sure it's what you need

Description-en: SSL development libraries, header files and documentation
libssl and libcrypto development libraries, header files and manpages.
It is part of the OpenSSL implementation of SSL.

Jmob
September 7th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Yes, editing the above while you were replying. It seemed to be it. Added one other question above, though, if you don't mind.

jerome1232
September 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM
If it was just for my user, I would put it under ~/bin, ~/ means your users home.

If it was a system wide install, I like to put it under /usr/local/bin/packagename/

Some people like to put them under /opt

It's been a long while since I've actually needed to compile anything, I think when you run make install it has a default and you can change it somehow.... I'd honestly have to google it.

SeijiSensei
September 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM
One other question. What's best practices for locating a self-compiled application? /usr/local? And one needs root to copy there, right?

/usr/local is the standard location. I actually have a separate hard drive partition mounted as /usr/local to keep it from being overwritten if I install a new version of the OS. Same for /home.

Jmob
September 7th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I keep /home separate already. I'll consider moving /usr/local off if I start doing more of my own compiling. Thanks.