PDA

View Full Version : I like Ubuntu but does everyone else?

jedispork
September 7th, 2012, 03:29 AM
It seems some of the basic issues I had with ubuntu have been fixed like being able to wake from sleep with the keyboard. However I'm still having some trouble being completely happy. Most of it probably not ubuntu's fault. With so many things now being done in a web browser I thought this would be good for linux. However I've still had troubles with some stuff. I use smugmug and the uploader worked but not that well under Firefox. Chrome seemed to do better at least. Also facebook games don't work properly under either browser. Not that I play them but family does. Its one of the many things preventing me from putting Ubuntu on their pc and do I really want to confuse them with dual boot? I've also not found a great alternative to the amazon apps like the mp3 and cloud apps.

Being on Ubuntu seems like trying to speak a different langauage that no one understands. The idea of having a desktop now is so you can do things that tablets cannot do. I'm not talking about some of the customizations and things some of you programming wizards can do but basic things like updating my gps. Even some of the free software on windows like IMGburn I like vastly better than brassero.

I also wonder how long Ubuntu will last if the tablets and other devices they have coming out fail in the market. I was reading this article when I went to check for a update on this software and I agree with some of the points

http://k9copy.sourceforge.net/web/index.php/en/news

Even if I didn't dual boot I would probably need to use windows or a mac computer sometimes. However by using Ubuntu I feel like I'm putting in a vote saying I want to use this os more than mac or windows but is this vote doing anything?

mastablasta
September 7th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Also facebook games don't work properly under either browser. Not that I play them but family does. Its one of the many things preventing me from putting Ubuntu on their pc and do I really want to confuse them with dual boot?

that would be flash fault or graphics drivers issue (poor manufacturer's support for linux?!)

I've also not found a great alternative to the amazon apps like the mp3 and cloud apps.

am not using those. amazn cloud is running on linux, so i am not sure what the compatibility issue is here. i am not using it.

basic things like updating my gps.
true, but some GPS are supported it via wine. mine i think is not. also my GPS runs on windowsCE :-D

Even some of the free software on windows like IMGburn I like vastly better than brassero.
The idea of Gnome is to have as little functions/options as possible available to the new user as to not confuse them. brasseros i minimalist but it does the job. if you used KDE (Kubuntu) you would find k3b there which is as good as IMG burn if not better.

http://k9copy.sourceforge.net/web/index.php/en/news
?
yeah partially true. a comon package system or different type would be better. problmes are dependencies, but if it would be that dependencies can be brought with app then app would be bigger but you wouldn't have a problem compiling on other linuxOS.

some windows apps don't work in Ubuntu, but how is that Ubuntu's fault? many Ubuntu apps don't work on Windows and no one is blaming windows for that.

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I've been using Kubuntu since KDE 4.0 whatever release that was and I'm extremely happy with it I have limitless customization options ill add a snapshot of my desktop to show you as for having to either run a mac or a windows P.C. that's where Oracles Virtual Box comes in I have 70GB dedicaded to VMware which has a CEntOS Install,WinXP install,Win8 Install, and as hard as f#*k as it was a Mac OS X Leopard install there's really nothing my computer can't handle with Kubuntu as my default and VMware picking up where I need it too and my computer really isn't high end Just a Gigabyte Motherboard Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.00 Ghz 4GiB DDR3 Ram 250Gb+250Gb SATA 3/Gs hdds and integrated Intel video G41 yet it manages everything I throw at it.

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM
oh yeah here's the snapshot of my desktop Super Clean and Efficient.

nothingspecial
September 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

jedispork
September 7th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Nice clean desktop. Although a mess of icons on the desktop doesn't bother me either.

Are there any gps devices that are supported under linux? I have a garmin. I've heard garmin and tomtom use linux for certain things yet they won't offer support for the linux desktop. I guess that similar to amazon not doing a linux app. I had been purchasing a lot of albums so when I decided to save them it said only 1 song at a time could be downloaded under linux. This is quite tedious if you want to transfer a lot of albums.

I don't mind brassero being simple but a verify option would be nice.

Also the uploader under smugmug that I was having problems with under firefox linux was html5

The most "Recurring" issues is games. Linux works for me when I'm not gaming and with the next round of consoles, steam on linux, steam box, etc I doubt I will build another game machine.

oldos2er
September 7th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I've also not found a great alternative to the amazon apps like the mp3

See http://code.google.com/p/pymazon/ or http://code.google.com/p/clamz/

jedispork
September 7th, 2012, 10:24 PM
outstanding , thanks.