PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fedora ..

dgharmon
September 6th, 2012, 01:31 AM
I checked out Fedora over the weekend, but now I'm back, sorry I ever doubted you UBUNTU :)

QIII
September 6th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I really like Fedora. A weekend is not much.

It's not a "one or the other" proposition.

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Fedora is a boondoggle

QIII
September 6th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Red Hat obviously doesn't think so...

Fedora has a commercial sponsor in Red Hat. Red Hat gets a test bed in what is otherwise community effort and it gets a chance to get it's stuff in the public's eye.

malspa
September 6th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Fedora seems quite nice to me. But then, I've been using it for much longer than one weekend. ;)

HermanAB
September 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Hmm, I'm typing away happily on my Fedora 16 XFCE spin laptop.

Interestingly, the only Ubuntu machine I currently have is a server sitting under my desk and it is switched off!

szymon_g
September 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I checked out Fedora over the weekend, but now I'm back, sorry I ever doubted you UBUNTU :)

if not Fedora/Redhat linux today would be even worse than it's now (on desktop).
All new good thinks go to the fedora first. How much code did Canonical commited to the gnome/kde/glibc/kernel folks?

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
if not Fedora/Redhat linux today would be even worse than it's now (on desktop).
All new good thinks go to the fedora first. How much code did Canonical commited to the gnome/kde/glibc/kernel folks?
Really? what about valve? Oops thats Ubuntu first..... like most other things out there, they support Ubuntu first then maybe go to the rest.... Most commercial entities usually support Ubuntu first

nothingspecial
September 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Moved to recurring.

szymon_g
September 6th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Really? what about valve? Oops thats Ubuntu first..... like most other things out there, they support Ubuntu first then maybe go to the rest.... Most commercial entities usually support Ubuntu first

no, most commercial software supports rhel/sles(d); ubuntu comes after them; Desktop linux is still (after 10 "years of linux") a niche- but Valve has no business in server area, so they support the most popular desktop distribution.
And again- what's the contribution of canonical (code-wise)?

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM
How much code did Canonical commited to the gnome/kde/glibc/kernel folks?
That's....... errm brown gooey stuff

Canonical does contribute to a lot of open source....

1. UNity and Ubuntu one.... anyone is free to use these open source client/desktop and a lot are now strting to....

2. Canonical contributed heavily to the ustack (which is the #1 most advanced open source multi touch thing there is!)

3. and by Suttleworths own words they do employ 25 kernal engineers! thats paid engineers!

4. Also what about apparmor?