PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What are these servers worth?

socomoddjob
September 6th, 2012, 12:28 AM
A buddy of mine has 6 Sun X2100 servers. DVD drive, 2 HDD (i believe they are 80gig each). I am unsure if the RAM are in them or not.

What kind of roundabout offer should I throw? He's not a computer guy, he got them as part of a storage auction a while back and pretty much just wants em gone. 100 bucks?

AgentZ86
September 6th, 2012, 12:53 AM
A buddy of mine has 6 Sun X2100 servers. DVD drive, 2 HDD (i believe they are 80gig each). I am unsure if the RAM are in them or not.

What kind of roundabout offer should I throw? He's not a computer guy, he got them as part of a storage auction a while back and pretty much just wants em gone. 100 bucks?

It's sort of subjective
Seen a few sell for $99 to $150 on ebay completed listings. However, many completed listings didn't sell for even $50 each.

So depends on who's looking for one, I would put up on ebay, and let UPS store ship it they will charge about $25 to package it for you + shipping cost

But if you have 6 of them you could still get approx. $300 to $600 + for them maybe more.

You could put them in a lot of 3 or lot of 6 and see if UPS store can package em up for your too.

1 sale would probably be more attractive to server people to save on shipping cost per item.

Anyhow thats what I would do, or put on craigslist for some local sales try $150 each for quick sale and see how it goes.

Hope this helps

AgentZ86
September 6th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Almost forgot thats not they are not worth more to someone else google produces even higher results and amazon as well.

From $300 + range up to $600 each etc.

Habitual
September 6th, 2012, 01:34 AM
...pretty much just wants em gone. 100 bucks?

Toss it out there, all he can say is "no".

kennethconn
September 6th, 2012, 01:50 AM
If this is for home use, I'd check up on power consumption and noise level before I spent any money. Could be the most expensive machine you'll ever buy.

AgentZ86
September 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sorry re-read your post

I think an offer of $25 each would be about all I would pay for them even though they could have higher resell value for the right person.

However, they are not easy sellers either.

I purchase at auctions all the time and would not pay more then $25, and would probably sell them for $99+shipping on ebay.

And if they didn't sell I would lower the price in $75 incriments until sold every 3 days for 3 day listings.

$75,$50, then finally $25 and gone, then move on to something else LOL

Anyhow thats what I believe the value is in my opinion.

so basically subjective sale price vs desired purchase price and personal value to the individual.

Happy blogging