PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] making battery icon work on a G4

2blue
September 3rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
I have a managed to get a battery/adaptor icon on the lower right taskbar, but it does not work. I have followed the guide on the ppc faq page but I can not make it show charge ( how full or empty the battery is). I have just bought a new aftermarked battery which luckily works fine.

What I have done is paste "gksudo gedit /etc/modules", I have to fill in password, and then I paste in "pmu_battery", but it says "command not found". There is a remark about leafpad, but I don`t understand how it is relevant.

Any idea on how to go about it?

Edit: adaptor shows as "online" at all times which I intepret as #plugged into the wall", a bit confusing with wireless adaptor, bit this is the xfce power-manager.

2blue
September 4th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I have searched through what I could find on lxde power-manager. Some get the battery charge indicator to show when hoovering cursor above the icon (on taskbar). I suppose there are too few using lubuntu and lxde to post.

I have discovered there is quite a large after marked for replacement parts for older powerpcs, like batteries and chargers, must be quite a lot who still use them.

rsavage
September 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM
For lubuntu you replace gedit with leafpad as per instructions.

gksudo leafpad /etc/modules

2blue
September 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I was a bit slow there rsavage, I didn`t understand the part about leafpad, but when I did it right it is of course obvious :redface: Battery indicator now all working !!

2blue
September 5th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I have been charging battery for ages, and indicator shows "Adaptor is online. Your battery is fully charged 46%". Which is on the weird side as it should show 100% and my adaptor is not plugged in. ??!! In other words, computer is running on battery.

2blue
September 9th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I`m tempting to "unsolve" this tread again. Battery indicator works in part, but it needs a full reboot to sort of take info on the current state battery. When I plug in the charger powermanager reacts and show the increasing levels, but on discharge it is stuck on what ever level it was when unplugged. It shows "fully charged 99%" still when computer goes in dormant mode due to flat battery.

!!??

standarshy
September 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I've noticed that, althought still not completely function, the battery icon works a bit better using the gnome interface. I know that's not really a solution, but, if the interface doesn't bother you, you can try that.

I'm glad this old mac has a battery indicator on the battery itself. If I'm getting worried, I can just check it.

2blue
September 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah, nice with the battery green lights. Luckily the replacement battery I got have the same feature. I wonder why the indicator doesn`t show properly?