PDA

View Full Version : Distrowatch were number 3

Gremlinzzz
September 2nd, 2012, 12:05 AM
Were number 3 ya:popcorn:
Where did this Mageia come from and has anyone tried it?
is it any good i don't read much about it.

MadmanRB
September 2nd, 2012, 03:14 AM
Magia is okay but it needs more packages in it, its still young so anything is possible.

cwsnyder
September 2nd, 2012, 03:16 AM
Mageia is a community fork of Mandriva, initiated when Mandriva went under bankruptcy the last time.

Gremlinzzz
September 2nd, 2012, 03:28 AM
Seems to be popular getting a lot of downloads,but i never heard anyone praising.like they do Arch or mint.just wondering who made it number 2 on distrowatch list:popcorn:

diesch
September 2nd, 2012, 03:50 AM
It's new, so it's popular on DistroWatch.

Remember: The DistroWatch ranking is not about popularity or quality, it's about how many different people visit a specific web page each day.

alexfish
September 2nd, 2012, 04:01 AM
Mandriva or as in Linux Mandrake was one of Two distro's released as a retail product way back , in not so many years ago. it was a good distro, hence the immediate rise in views at Distrowatch. Old Linuxtonians , never forget,:p

Gone fishing
September 2nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Mandrake was good in its day simple with some nice setup tools, but if I remember you had to pay to use the repositories. Then it became Mandriva which went bust and Magia is a community driven fork of Mandriva.

I imagine it will be a newbe friendly KDE, RPM based Linux distro - nothing wrong with that but I'd rather have Debian based distro, I'd rather have Ubuntu. The Distro Watch rankings I suspect mean very little, I never visit the Ubuntu page occasionally other distros if they are doing anything interesting.

alexfish
September 2nd, 2012, 04:11 AM
Mandrake was good in its day simple with some nice setup tools, but if I remember you had to pay to use the repositories. Then it became Mandriva which went bust and Magia is a community driven fork of Mandriva.

I imagine it will be a newbe friendly KDE, RPM based Linux distro - nothing wrong with that but I'd rather have Debian based distro, I'd rather have Ubuntu. The Distro Watch rankings I suspect mean very little, I never visit the Ubuntu page occasionally other distros if they are doing anything interesting.

if you can pick up some of the original cd's , there were a few in the box, I still have them.

some of the progs were based on Debian , in fact more than a few.;)

WinterMadness
September 2nd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Why do people think distrowatch is a reliable metric in determining what the most popular version of linux is?

cecilpierce
September 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
I remember before Mandrake there was something called Mandrill, cant remember but I still have the cd's, they are in a round rubberey plastic case.
Seems like that was back in the late 80's not sure, anyone know for sure ?
I would have to dig through a pile of junk to find them -:p

Paqman
September 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Were number 3 ya

Distrowatch is almost entirely meaningless.

Gremlinzzz
September 4th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Distrowatch is almost entirely meaningless.

Distrowatch is a poll of which the (Linux desktop) is being downloaded and used.I remember when Ubuntu was always number one,except the time PClinuxOS took the lead for a short time:popcorn: Since Unity we lost that position and i don't think Ubuntu will ever get it back.

Mikeb85
September 4th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Distrowatch is a poll of which the (Linux desktop) is being downloaded and used.I remember when Ubuntu was always number one,except the time PClinuxOS took the lead for a short time:popcorn: Since Unity we lost that position and i don't think Ubuntu will ever get it back.

No, it isn't. It only counts page hits, and it even explains that on it's site. If I visit the Mageia page on distrowatch, it'll be a hit for Mageia, despite the fact I'm using SUSE...

Gremlinzzz
September 4th, 2012, 02:03 AM
No, it isn't. It only counts page hits, and it even explains that on it's site. If I visit the Mageia page on distrowatch, it'll be a hit for Mageia, despite the fact I'm using SUSE...

Well since Unity, Ubuntu has been getting less page hits:popcorn:

Version Dependency
September 4th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Distrowatch only counts page hits on its site...and it's not a tremendous amount of page hits, so the results are rather easy to manipulate. A few weeks back I posted about some distro that was number one in their 6-month rankings...a distro that had been DEAD for three years. Send a few thousand unique hits to its page each day and you can send Hannah Montana linux to the number one spot.

A more accurate measure of actual use is Wikimedia. For the month of June:

Linux Android 7,048 M 4.73%
Linux Other 1,183 M 0.79%
Linux Ubuntu 990 M 0.66%
Linux Fedora 28.6 M 0.02%
Linux SUSE 25.5 M 0.02%
Linux Debian 15.6 M 0.01%
Linux Mint 12.5 M 0.01%
Linux Mandriva 10.3 M 0.01%
Linux CentOS 7 M 0.00%
Linux Kubuntu 5.3 M 0.00%
Linux Red Hat 4.8 M 0.00%
Linux Epiphany 3.9 M 0.00%
Linux Gentoo 2.3 M 0.00%
Linux Mips 1.3 M 0.00%
Linux PCLinuxOS 360 k 0.00%
Linux Arch 300 k 0.00%
Linux Motor 270 k 0.00%
Linux Oracle 210 k 0.00%
Linux Slackware 60 k 0.00%
Linux openSUSE 30 k 0.00%
Linux Xubuntu 30 k 0.00%

And Mageia doesn't even register. So...

Paqman
September 4th, 2012, 10:07 AM

Distrowatch is a site frequented by distro-hoppers who're window shopping for a new distro. Such people are only a subset of all Linux users, so you shouldn't read too much into it.

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM
distrowatch is a site frequented by distro-hoppers who're window shopping for a new distro. Such people are only a subset of all linux users, so you shouldn't read too much into it.

+1

nothingspecial
September 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Thread moved to Recurring, Recurring, Recurring Discussions.

..... oh

nvm :(

Mikeb85
September 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Linux Android 7,048 M 4.73%
Linux Other 1,183 M 0.79%
Linux Ubuntu 990 M 0.66%
Linux Fedora 28.6 M 0.02%
Linux SUSE 25.5 M 0.02%
Linux Debian 15.6 M 0.01%
Linux Mint 12.5 M 0.01%
Linux Mandriva 10.3 M 0.01%
Linux CentOS 7 M 0.00%
Linux Kubuntu 5.3 M 0.00%
Linux Red Hat 4.8 M 0.00%
Linux Epiphany 3.9 M 0.00%
Linux Gentoo 2.3 M 0.00%
Linux Mips 1.3 M 0.00%
Linux PCLinuxOS 360 k 0.00%
Linux Arch 300 k 0.00%
Linux Motor 270 k 0.00%
Linux Oracle 210 k 0.00%
Linux Slackware 60 k 0.00%
Linux openSUSE 30 k 0.00%
Linux Xubuntu 30 k 0.00%

And Mageia doesn't even register. So...

And both Fedora and SUSE have nearly double what Mint has...

Paqman
September 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM
And both Fedora and SUSE have nearly double what Mint has...

I'd be careful of drawing quantitative conclusions. Those slices are so slim you'll be well within the margin of error.

Gremlinzzz
September 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
:popcorn:This explains it.
The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics have attracted plenty of attention and feedback over the years. Originally, each distribution-specific page was pure HTML with a third-party counter at the bottom to monitor interest of visitors. In May 2004 the site switched from publicly viewable third-party counters to internal counters. This was prompted by a continuous abuse of the counters by a handful of undisciplined individuals who had confused DistroWatch with a poll station. The counters are no longer displayed on the individual distributions pages, but all visits are logged. Only one hit per IP address per day is counted.

The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.

The figures in the third column of each table represent the average number of hits per day (HPD) for the specified period. The tables are updated daily at around 30 minutes past midnight GMT.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Mikeb85
September 8th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I'd be careful of drawing quantitative conclusions. Those slices are so slim you'll be well within the margin of error.

25.5 million hits to 12.5 million hits is hardly 'within the margin of error'.

Small percentages, but big numbers...

And the margin is much bigger with Ubuntu vs. Mint. 990 million hits to 12.5 million... Whoever thinks Mint is anywhere close to Ubuntu is delusional...

rigel4
September 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM
nvm i found my answer

thatguruguy
September 9th, 2012, 01:01 AM
:popcorn:This explains it.
The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics have attracted plenty of attention and feedback over the years. Originally, each distribution-specific page was pure HTML with a third-party counter at the bottom to monitor interest of visitors. In May 2004 the site switched from publicly viewable third-party counters to internal counters. This was prompted by a continuous abuse of the counters by a handful of undisciplined individuals who had confused DistroWatch with a poll station. The counters are no longer displayed on the individual distributions pages, but all visits are logged. Only one hit per IP address per day is counted.

The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.

The figures in the third column of each table represent the average number of hits per day (HPD) for the specified period. The tables are updated daily at around 30 minutes past midnight GMT.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

I'm pretty sure that everyone else in this thread had already read that, and understood it. Which is why people were pointing out that you were wrong.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think that passage means?

Gremlinzzz
September 9th, 2012, 03:10 AM
I'm pretty sure that everyone else in this thread had already read that, and understood it. Which is why people were pointing out that you were wrong.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think that passage means?

:popcorn:Think it means you should check your Attitude.

thatguruguy
September 9th, 2012, 04:06 AM
:popcorn:Think it means you should check your Attitude.

Actually, my attitude is fine. I'll explain the question.

You stated as follows:

You were corrected as follows:

..and yet, you persisted, stating:

Then, you posted the lengthy quote from the Distrowatch site.

I'm still not clear what you think about the quote from Distrowatch, and whether or not Distrowatch accurately reflects the relative popularity of Unbuntu vs. Mint and Mageia. Hence, I'll ask again: What do you think the passage from Distrowatch which you posted means? I'm not being pugnacious, I'm actually curious. It's possible that it means something else to you than it does to me.

Gremlinzzz
September 9th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Actually, my attitude is fine. I'll explain the question.

You stated as follows:

You were corrected as follows:

..and yet, you persisted, stating:

Then, you posted the lengthy quote from the Distrowatch site.

I'm still not clear what you think about the quote from Distrowatch, and whether or not Distrowatch accurately reflects the relative popularity of Unbuntu vs. Mint and Mageia. Hence, I'll ask again: What do you think the passage from Distrowatch which you posted means? I'm not being pugnacious, I'm actually curious. It's possible that it means something else to you than it does to me.

When you say I'm not being pugnacious,i think you are and choose not to answer you, check your Attitude.

kevinmchapman
September 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
When you say I'm not being pugnacious,i think you are and choose not to answer you, check your Attitude.

This is comedy gold. You have managed to quote something which undermines your whole argument, and now you don't know how to respond to get out of it :)

vasa1
September 9th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Time for euthanasia.

IWantFroyo
September 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Mint and Mageia are probably up there due to people being interested in what they look like. Distrowatch rating =! actual usage counts.

I've never used Mageia, although it looks pleasant enough. KDE 4 with a KDE 3 style menu. Now if only they doubled up the task bar, and I'd use it.

thatguruguy
September 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Respectfully, neither the fact that I disagree with your original premise, nor the fact that I am questioning your analysis, mean that I have a bad attitude. I am conducting a civilized discourse; that does not mean that I must agree with anything and everything you post, it only means that I must be respectful when I disagree. Which I have been.

Your repeated assertions that I "check my Attitude" is insulting.

Gremlinzzz
September 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
This is comedy gold. You have managed to quote something which undermines your whole argument, and now you don't know how to respond to get out of it :)

:popcorn:What argument?
My original question was wanting to know more about Mageia from users.
being number 2 was sudden and fast,because Ubuntu is now number 3 on the hit list is nothing to be ashamed of.LOL
This is comedy gold:popcorn:

not found
September 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Troll much?

Thread closed.