PDA

View Full Version : Linux games

hypnot0ad
September 1st, 2012, 07:08 AM
Is it true that win8 "sucks" so bad that the owner of steam wants to bring it(steam) over to Linux?
Or should I ask if steam is coming to Linux?
Or should I ask if win8 really is that bad(I don't really care about MS to see for my self.)?

If all this is true
What does that mean for Linux?
And support for said systems?

Maybe I'm just too excited for this,
or just am able to see the inevitable future of the world eventually turning full face towards Linux in hope, and can't wait to see the reply.

Primefalcon
September 1st, 2012, 07:12 AM
Is it true that win8 "sucks" so bad that the owner of steam wants to bring it(steam) over to Linux?
Or should I ask if steam is coming to Linux?
Or should I ask if win8 really is that bad(I don't really care about M$ to see for my self.)?

If all this is true
What does that mean for Linux?
And support for said systems?

Maybe I'm just too excited for this,
or just am able to see the inevitable future of the world eventually turning full face towards Linux in hope, and can't wait to see the reply.
Tis True: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/steams-newell-windows-8-catastrophe-driving-valve-to-embrace-linux/

duncan12
September 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Or should I ask if win8 really is that bad(I don't really care about M$ to see for my self.)?

Yes Windows 8 is horrible. It's impossible to use if you're not on a touchscreen. It's Vista all over again...

Jakin
September 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Yes Windows 8 is horrible.

I just don't see how one could get any multitasking done with win8... touch or otherwise.

I hope my steam account will follow over to linux, when it becomes available (for linux). I have many puzzle and indie games friends have gifted me...

not found
September 1st, 2012, 09:53 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

3rdalbum
September 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM
Microsoft should have learnt from Ubuntu and not sprung a new interface on its users. The Unity backlash is nothing compared to what the Windows 8 backlash will be like.

However, before I pass judgement on Windows 8, I'm going to try it properly myself. Not in a VM, on my hardware.

tartalo
September 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM
doublepost

tartalo
September 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM
Microsoft should have learnt from Ubuntu and not sprung a new interface on its users. The Unity backlash is nothing compared to what the Windows 8 backlash will be like.

Windows 7 will be around for a long time. Unlike Gnome 2 that *POP* suddenly disappeared.

3rdalbum
September 2nd, 2012, 12:59 AM
Windows 7 will be around for a long time. Unlike Gnome 2 that *POP* suddenly disappeared.

New PCs will come with 8. I'm sure you'll be able to downgrade as you could with Vista, but seeing that Metro start screen even once will infuriate a lot of users, if our experience with Unity-haters is valid :-)

hypnot0ad
September 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
My mistake to have posted in the wrong area.

But because of events like this I think its safe argument that Unix/Linux systems will out live M$. Well maybe not 'safe' but were getting closer to it everyday.

Paqman
September 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
I hope my steam account will follow over to linux, when it becomes available (for linux). I have many puzzle and indie games friends have gifted me...

Just because the Steam client has been ported, doesn't mean all the games you currently have in Steam will be playable on Linux. Unless they're browser games they'll still need to be ported too.

Jakin
September 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Just because the Steam client has been ported, doesn't mean all the games you currently have in Steam will be playable on Linux. Unless they're browser games they'll still need to be ported too.

Yes, you're right :D I just mean if those games are ported, I hope that i wouldn't have to repurchase.

hypnot0ad
September 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Maybe you won't need to repurchase some of the smaller or lesser known games. An interesting question.:p